Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Brownsville Pictures 23 years 4 months ago #14722

• mnahlen
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks to the photogs for the photos. I'm glad that I didn't get to see the 'old gal' except through pics.

NAHLEN ETR2 7/29/67 to 1/22/70

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brownsville Pictures 23 years 4 months ago #14724

• chassny03
Nahlen, I agree, but with mixed feelings. I wish I had gone, but she looks sad, in need of a crew such as we had to perk her up. I think we are a bunch of sentimental slobs, but I can live with it

Brownsville Pictures 23 years 4 months ago #14727

• dcreed
I've got to tell you that for a few hours on a couple of days in Brownsville TX, she had a crew. A few old guys, a few younger guys, but still a crew. For those few moments she came to life. I would not have missed it for the world. The memory of her in '66 is still vivid and thats what counts. We said good by to an old friend for all those who ever served on her. It's important that we keep this memory alive through our association.

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68

Edited by - dcreed on 05/10/2001 08:25:27

Brownsville Pictures 23 years 4 months ago #14728

• Sal Cedillo
Here,Here, Shipmate Reed, you echo my sentiments exactly! Though in makeshift fashion, because we had little forewarning, we said farewell with all the class, dignity and honor that anybody who ever served on Her seemed to have possessed, and which allowed us to proudly disply. The Cochrane will sail on through its Association and the memories that we retell.

Brownsville Pictures 23 years 4 months ago #14732

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think that for the first time in ten or twelve years, she was a manned warship. When we had the service on her fantail, the sounds of her guns echoed on her decks again. The sound of taps, bells, and US, were all around.
For those of you who could not attend, I want to assure you that you guys were in our thoughts aboard her, and that you were with us.
When we were walking through the shipyard to go to her, I felt a strange feeling that she was watching us apporach. I know that this sounds stupid, but I honestly felt that we were visiting a friend, and that this friend knew we were coming. As metaphysical and like a crock of shit as this sounds, I felt it but didn't mention it to anybody. Am I the only crazy one here or did anyone else feel that.
I know very well that it was thoughts about seeing her that I was feeling, but I felt it anyway. Please believe me when I say that it was great seen the girl regardless of her condition.

Brownsville Pictures 23 years 4 months ago #14735

• dcreed
Richard,
Other than those who served, the world must think that we are all crazy to travel from all over the U.S. to Brownsville just to see an old ship. To us she was more than an old ship. I think that all of had the same feeling as we walked across the yard. I've said it before, without her crew she is just steel and aluminum. Her crew is her soul. With her crew she comes alive. Sal said it right with "The Cochrane will sail on through its Association and the memories that we retell."

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds