Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14223

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ken:

Re LePak.

I wasn't close to him (was anyone?). How old would he be now? I thought he was from Michigan or Wisconsin or the Dakotas. I remember that he frequently read a journal specializing in listing "for sale" of farms. Assumed he wanted to buy a farm when he retired. What was the name of the big babyfaced, heavyset SM who reenlisted, Frankowiak? The SM's worked some with the QM's, didn't they?

Re reunion: Doubtful attendee, but never can tell. Am having trouble with the date and place specifics. Messages on that board are a little hard to follow. Brownsville at the mentioned Hilton, but what dates? This sounds pretty Ad Hoc and loose, so far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14227

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Paul,
The uncertainty of the date is only because we have no idea where she is. I think once she breaks out of the canal, we'll have a better idea. I have the same problem. I am a teacher, and I will need a sub. I told my principal about this, and he'll let me off, but when??? Same problem. Also, airfares are going to be rediculous when we only have a few days notice. American Airlines wanted $1,400.00 to go from Atlanta to Brownsville. I went last year to Paris for less then half of that. We're driving.
It would be great seeing you again, so I hope you can make it.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14230

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sounds also like a possible conflict with "SpringBreak". Does Brownsville get impacted by the event? {Will post this on Reunion Site as well.)

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14231

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Paul,Richard, Best guess at the moment is the weekend of the 17th of march. We will know more when Barr Chambers talks to us again in a week and a half. We also have the guy at the canal keeping a look out for us.
Ken

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14314

• seymour
  • Thank you received: 0
Richard,
I think there were two different storms. One in '65 and one in '66.
I remember the one in '66 cause I damn near broke my neck doing ASROC watch. Remember
those watches, Jim Brown? Anyway I cut my head pretty good and you were afraid you were going to hurt me more than help me, with the ship bouncing around.
As I remember we were in the Sea of Japan.
Doing profiles of Russian military aircraft flights from Vladisvostak, Russia, to the west. I also remember shadowing the Russian DLG. I thought it was in '66?, but not sure. I can remember being somewhat nervous and was on watch in the gun director up on the signal deck. The high powered optics in the gun director let me almost see the color of the Russian sailors eyes. They were lined up on deck, and were just kids like most of us. I can tell you they weren't smiling.
Anyway, reading all these messages makes me think you guys have better memories than I do.
Dave Seymour

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14317

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Shadowing the Russians was in 65 I was off the ship in 66.
Ken Keeler QM2

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds