Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14152

• Al Koblinski
  • Thank you received: 0
Leathers sent me here and now that I'm signed up...Hello to all.
The Hakodate thing was in 65. We steamed by in July of 66 on the way to Sasebo (what a great town!).In about October or November 66 was I remember the only typhoon we rode out in 66. As I recall, after all the radar picket (with the fishing boats around that Cooper asked about in another thread) it was about the only thing to raise ones pulse rate (at sea) during toe whole cruise.
"SKI"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14160

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
How are you doing, Ski? Great hearing from you.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14173

• Al Koblinski
Hi Coop,
Doing fine. I was quite surprised to hear about the website from Leathers and happy top see so many familiar names after so long.
Doty, Brown, Anuchat(spelling?), and others.
I've been working in the electronics industry in "Silicon Valley" CA.for 20 years after I left Arizona. I trust you are doing well too. Really good to hear from some of the old shipmates.
Al

"Ski" ETN2 (June 66 to Aug 68)

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14174

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Al,
I'm like you. I started hearing from all of these guys from a time that I think back fondly about, and it's great. I hope to be able to see some of them in Brownsville.
I've been a school teacher for the past 28 years or so. I'm married, have two grown daughters, and live in Atlanta, Georgia. I hope to retire soon.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14194

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I do believe there were typhoons on each of the '65 and '66 cruises.

During the one in '65, just after I came aboard, in Sept., that involved the surveilling of the Russian group--2 destroyers and an oiler, I learned of my one sterling naval qualification--I never got seasick. I remember Old Salt QM1 LePak, getting sick routinely every time out. Also remember lighting up big cigars to further the healthy atmosphere for the nauseated. (I still ride rollercoasters today). At the time I thought these storms happend routinely. Remember the Old Salts like ETC Loggins fretting about us running low on fuel, and finally, the order to cut chase and return to Japan. Hakodatte visit took place sometime during that curise before I came aboard in late Aug. '65. Remember my OE Div shipmates talking about good times there. I thought the '65 typhoon was called Typhoon Trix.

In '66, my memory is less vivid. I know ET Ken Brown and others (Primeaux? Doty?) had to climb the mast to replace a radar antenna motor during the storm. Also remember the mess decks and the chow that the cooks tried to put out. One of the benefits of such storms was that we couldn't "heave to" and do the work routine. Spent most of time propped between bulkheads riding the bronco and enjoying the idleness as much as possible.

Sure didn't go out on the weatherdecks if it could be avoided.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 6 months ago #14200

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Paul, do you have anyidea of what happened to LePak after I left. I remember he was terribly distressed that I would leave the ship while he was on leave, remember that he wouldn't even shake hands. Are you going to be able to make the visit in Brownsville?

Edited by - Ken Keeler on 02/25/2001 11:40:14

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds