Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 20 years 4 months ago #15931

• wilsonle
  • Thank you received: 0
He is right about the busy, my wife deployed to Iraq and I am in school to be an ORange County Sheriff's deputy. Speak about a career change. Class is from 0600 to 1700 and with study and prep time its pretty much 18 hour days. We graduate o/o 9 AUG 2004. I know I will try to post more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 20 years 3 months ago #15937

• STG2 Green
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yup still alive.... at least I think I am?!?! Anyway, with everything that's been going on, I haven't had time to post for a while. What I wouldn't give for a long cruise in the IO right about now. :)

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 20 years 3 months ago #15938

• Michael Gray
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font size="6"></font id="size6">Hell Greenie, I'd be willing to go on that cruise with you as long as we could make a slight detour to the South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand and Thailand. If you'd allow me to tag along, I'd even be willing to buy you a few beers or whatever you drink![:D] After all these years, I sure miss those days of sailing the high seas.

Mike Gray HTC USN Ret.
Cochrane HT3 1977-1979

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 20 years 2 months ago #15945

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi there guys! As Wes said above, it was like a dozen of us doing all the posting, and I for 1 got a bit burned out- what with all the tons of folks putting thier name on the crew list, but such a tiny handful bothering to take the time to post anything. I began to see many other names from when I was a Cochranite- but still no new posts.) Aside to Brad Z- thanks for the news -from your posting- that Crash Boynton was still alike and kickin'- I had guesed that with his cruise book for sale on E-bay a couple of years ago that he had passed.I know I would not have hawked mine for profit...hell, lost it and 99% of my other nav stuff in a house fire quite a while back. Woulda loved to have another- but reckon a "collector" wound up with Crash's- my bid was outdone by a couple of pennies a few seconds before bids closed... 'Twas my first -and last!!- experience with e-bay! :-) Thanks for that bit of good news Brad! Ive seen many more names from "my era" on Cochrane on the list, but other than that colorful torpedoman Michael, and of course the aforementioned Brad Z's post, still no new stuff. I sure hope these guys will begin to share with us too! I would be delighted to hear from yall! My best to ya all! Marc Tuton, Sonar snipe-now deaf!! :-)PS- any more old car fans out there now?

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 20 years 2 months ago #15946

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
P.S. take 2... Thanks very much to that father of all snipes, Mr. Freeman for keeping the light on for us to find our way back home!! :-) marc t.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 20 years 2 months ago #15948

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Marc:

Re Old Cars

What is/are your fancies? I guess I think the '53-'54 Studebaker Starlight coupe is about the most beautiful thing on 4 wheels, disregarding mechanics, body integrity and other non-essentials.

I have a '67 Olds Cutlass that I keep instead of a wife. Love to look at the sexy curves on old cars, but it is a rich man's hobby. My friend here in Portland just married a fairly younger lady and bought "her", or so he says, an older 12 cyl Jag. When my GF heard about it, she starts lobbying for a Mercedes.

Can't win for losing.

Anybody else have a passion for the old cars? I seem to remember a Radioman on the Cochrane during my era who had or lusted after the first of the Malibus. I believe it was yellow, but the memory is dim. He is pictured talking to Shanahan in the '65 cruisebook.

Then we had a notorious crewmember who absolutely must remain unnamed and unremarked, except for the big finned Chrysler convertible he bought that yielded no good end.

I drove an early 60's Ford Galaxy around Oahu in '67. Bought it off a departing crewmember for $400, an FT if memory serves, but I could be wrong. Learned to drive a stick off of it. A Hawaiian car, it had no heater/defroster. Brought it home with me after separation. Big mistake. '68-'69 was one of the nastiest winters ever in Pacific NW. Had to drive with the windows open to keep the condensation off the inside. I can't remember the exact model year because you don't see many today. They all rusted out. Mine was well on its way to terminal degradation in Pearl. Other thing I remember about it was it came with the Oahu Official animal, cockroaches.

Nice pets? Not.

Anybody got any cockroach stories? (I remember Doty and his roomies had a pad near Waikiki with cases of empties and empty kegs decorating the front. The little critters loved stale beer. On Hotel Street in the crummy bars, they'd sit up on the bar right beside us and share the brew. Very friendly, even to haoles.)

Thanks for the old car mention. It got me keying.

Paul Anuschat, ETN2 '65-'67

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds