Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 7 months ago #16038

• Rich
  • Thank you received: 0
STG2 Green, how's it going? I seem to recall you too. Is it possible that we all Cranked together? I seem to recall the name Ambio also, and I damned sure remember Doc Simpkins. That guy was a little different. I kept up with EM1 Hodges for several years. I think he's still in Virginia Beach. That was a few years ago, time fades all memories. Any stories?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 6 months ago #16043

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Howdy there, Larry! You had me wondering if A/S got evicted from our little 1/1000 acre of paradise below the wardroom, with that never to be forgotten valve on the tanks below us that sounded like someone beating on the bulkhead with a big hammer on that oh so rare ocasion when the ship rolled a bit. When we got to visit her in the breakers yard, I saw they had put another shower stall in our head. And the canvas racks had been replaced... That was about the only thing I liked about the POS that I went to after Cochrane- those locker bunks. So much more room for your personal stuff! May your marriage to the beauty be blessed with all the good stuff and only the minimum of the bad! :-) May all hands have a great one! Marc Tuton, sonar snipe, 74-75

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 6 months ago #16044

• STG2 Green
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i><font color="blue">Originally posted by Marc Tuton</i>

Howdy there, Larry! You had me wondering if A/S got evicted from our little 1/1000 acre of paradise below the wardroom, with that never to be forgotten valve on the tanks below us that sounded like someone beating on the bulkhead with a big hammer on that oh so rare ocasion when the ship rolled a bit.</font id="blue"> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ah! The infamous clapper valve! Alas, I do miss the good old days.....NOT! [:D]

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 1 month ago #16112

• RTS39
GREAT STORIES!!! I REMEMBER OPENING MY RACK AND ALL MY LITTLE PETS SCRAMBLING FOR COVER AND ME NOT WANTING TO GRAB ANYTHING IN FEAR OF THEM ATTACKING ME. THERE JUST AINT NO BUGS HERE IN CENTRAL ARIZONA, WELL BESIDES YOUR OCCASIONAL SCORPION, THE EVERY NOW AND THEN COONTAIL RATTLER AND THE CEDAR NATS THAT JUST LOVE TO BITE YOUR EYELIDS AND YOUR EARS. GO AHEAD TRY NOT TO SCRATCH!!! AND THEN THE WORST OF EM ALL COPS YEAH GO AHEAD TRY NOT TO SCRATCH!!! DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS FUNNY EH? WELL SORRY BOUT YER LUCK!!! OK THATS ALL YOUR GETTING OUT OF ME TODAY. SO TILL NEXT TIME GOOD NIGHT AND GOD BLESS. RUSSELL SEAMAN MMFA X 2 '78 TO 80'

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 4 years 7 months ago #16776

• fred
  • Thank you received: 2
Face it we're getting old. DDG-21 was where we met the best people you'd want to meet. I haven't had much contact with my shipmates, but I relive the experience very often. My daughters would cry laughing when I told them some of the story's from shipboard life. Dee Jolles, Terry Collison, Mike Dawson, Wes Roland, Ron Taplin, where the hell did the time go? Mike Moritory, Jack Taylor, what great guys, now they've gone on to a better place. Who else? I'm looking for Bob McConnell. Anyone have an idea where he went to? I'd like to let him know that one small gesture on his part had a profound effect on my life. I'd also like to know if anyone feels, like I do, that our effort in Nam was betrayed by our government. Anyone out there in the ether? This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 4 years 6 months ago #16781

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Back to the poor AC Paul was talking about earlier in the mid '60s. Now that the statute of limitations has expired, I'll explain what not only happened to the AC, but the ship's silver ware as well.
We had a ships party on Grande Island in the Philippines before we went to Tonkin Gulf. CO Shannahan ordered 9 cases more of beer because we were low. We drank one and Screamin Jack said "Party over!" The told us to clean up. Myself and Mike Gaspar got the silver ware detail. I told Mike "We are not leaving 8 cases of beer here" The silver ware and beer went into a big wooden crate. On our way back to the CO's dinghy, the crate was too heavy for us so we s...t canned a bunch of the silver ware in the weeds and proceeded to the dinghy. We got to the ship and the OTD wanted to look in the crate. We screamed that it's so heavy with all the silver ware, we're about to drop in over board. Off we went to Radar One. Took off the Air duct and put the beer in the AC duct. That explains the AC malfunction and also
the long chow lines due to the lack of silver ware. every day after, the AC got better and better. That was a well kept secret between me and Mike! As you were!
Doty, ETR3

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds