Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15526

• J C Reynolds
  • J C Reynolds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
A few days ago I typed in the Ship’s name at Yahoo search and to my surprise this well developed website and forum popped up. It was surprising because, for a number of years, I had casually done the same search without any success. In late ’99 something turned up relating to the Adams class in general and I think there had been some traffic at the DRMS/DRMO site as a number of DDG’s were reduced to scrap but no hint of any USS Cohcrane Association. It looked to me like gone and forgotten, obviously – not so.

Was there some underground association preparing to announce its existence or is John Freeman’s work here the sole attractive force that has started it rolling? If the answers are elsewhere in the forums would someone please offer directions. How did you find the site if you didn’t use a search engine? Would you share?

John C. Reynolds, ETR2 '64-'67

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15527

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I don't know if you'd remember me but my name is Richard Cooper and I was HM3 aboard Cochrane when you were aboard. I actually found out about this site the same way you did, but last year at this time we were waiting for her to be towed to Brownsville, TX to be scrapped. She was being towed with Stoddart, which unfortunately sank mid pacific. Cruise around the site and you'll find pictures of Brownsville, Cochrane, and even Stoddart sinking.

This site is the work of John. He's put a lot into it and it brings everyone together. Our first reunion in Brownsville was great, especially since we had the Cochrane to walk on. She's gone now, but this site is still here. I won't be able to go to the next reunion since I am planning a trip to Germany in December and can't afford to do both, but I really would suggest you try to make it.

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15531

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
It's all my fault John. I was actually looking for a COCHRANE site myself a few years ago and could not fing one. I was wondering what ever happened to a few of my shipmates from my time on the COCHRANE. Well, I decided to try my hand at it and see what happened.....As you can see it has taken on a life of its own and all I can do now is try and hang on to the reins.

All of the major search engines have found the site and it is listed on a number of other Navy related sites. Hope this answers your questions.

MM2 83-85
#2 Engine Room Supervisor

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15535

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I want you all to know that I have found a bunch of shipmates on another site as well, but you must join it for $28.00 and I didn't want to do this. Some are also on this site. Dan Fugate, I saw your name listed as well as mine. It's called Classmates.com and it would be nice if anyone reading this who belongs (that is, paid the $28.00) could contact those other Cochrane guys and let them know about our site here. Unless you pay the money, they don't allow you to make contact with anyone you find on the site. I saw several names I recognized from my time on Cochrane.

I have a Navy question. Our new next door neighbor was a navy man and a destroyer man as well. He was on a guided missile destroyer, but his was not an Adams class, but a Spruance class. He thinks his ship is still in the fleet. My question, Aren't the Spruance class destroyers converted to be DDG's and aren't they older than Adams class. If so, why are they still in the fleet and our beloved Cochrane is razor blades?

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15536

• ratrat4563
  • Thank you received: 2
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I want you all to know that I have found a bunch of shipmates on another site as well, but you must join it for $28.00 and I didn't want to do this. Some are also on this site. Dan Fugate, I saw your name listed as well as mine. It's called Classmates.com and it would be nice if anyone reading this who belongs (that is, paid the $28.00) could contact those other Cochrane guys and let them know about our site here. Unless you pay the money, they don't allow you to make contact with anyone you find on the site. I saw several names I recognized from my time on Cochrane.

I have a Navy question. Our new next door neighbor was a navy man and a destroyer man as well. He was on a guided missile destroyer, but his was not an Adams class, but a Spruance class. He thinks his ship is still in the fleet. My question, Aren't the Spruance class destroyers converted to be DDG's and aren't they older than Adams class. If so, why are they still in the fleet and our beloved Cochrane is razor blades?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15537

• ratrat4563
  • Thank you received: 2
Richard:

SPRUANCE Class tin cans were built in the late 70's or early 80's. Some of them are still in service but are scheduled to be decommissioned in the next few years. If he was on a DDG then it was probably one of the KIDD class which were built on a SPRUANCE hull. These four ships were being built for IRAN and when the Shah was kicked out the US Navy stepped in and took over their completion. These ships ran real cold as they were built with AC systems for the gulf. They have been decomissioned but Tawain is buying them now.

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds