Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Captians Mast 23 years 4 days ago #15193

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Have been off this site for a spell. Would like to bring the Captains Mast topic back into a little humorous perspective.

Coop can probably recall this bit of folklore during our era. One of the Boatswains mates Seamen, a very small, spidery, dark complected fella who was reputed to be HUNG beyond all reason (I know the bargirls fled when he came thru the door) was always in search of a malingering symptom or injury. He frequently sported assorted bandages and braces. Anyway, he fell asleep on watch, the story goes.
Captain's Mast ensued.

It was also said Sceaming Jack Shanhan would let you off if you told one he hadn't heard. The BMSN, when asked about sleeping on watch, said that, NO, he wasn't sleeping. It was his hurt foot (it was bandaged at the time). And, (with wide eyed sincerity), he was merely praying to "de Lawd" to heal it. Story goes that the Old Man, who wasn't often seen to laugh easily, burst out uproariously when said BM exited.

Case dismissed. (At least that's how I've remembered it all these years, and still get a laugh out of it).

As for the nasty side of shipmates, never had any terrible experiences except maybe when about I was aboout ten times over the blood alcohol limit. My memories have largely mellowed with time. But I do remember a certain E-6 whose coffee cup was routinely used as a finger bowl for some of his admirers' 3rd legs. They would get out of their racks before reville to bath their appendages in his cup stowed in his workspace, or so I heard. Then, keep a straight face at morning muster as he strolled along, sipping a warm brew from said cup. One way to get the troops to muster timely!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captians Mast 23 years 4 days ago #15194

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Paul, I remember hearing about the guy who fell asleep on watch. I remember who it was too. I also remember when he was mess cooking and gave me some shit while I was going through the chow line . He was serving and threw my food on my tray. I swung at him but he ducked. We were both grabbed by shipmates. From that time on, it was always all either of us could do to refrain from taking a swing whenever we saw each other.
I'd really like to know who had the special coffee in the morning.

Wes

Captians Mast 23 years 3 days ago #15195

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I remember the sleeping Botswain, too. I really would like to know whose coffee cup it was. I never made E-6 so I guess I can relax, I guess.

Edited by - Richard Cooper on 09/20/2001 17:07:11

Captians Mast 22 years 11 months ago #15217

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Aye Mates!
As per special request, I will relate my enviable record of 13 article 15's and a requested guest (by chief Fluegal) at 2 court martials so I could see that I was gonna lose.
I only went to 1 Captain's mast, XO thru out most of them. remember our commodore was named Doty?? Of course, I didn't fare well when I went to the mast but had no choice and it was the most petty of all my charges....off limits in a whore house...can you believe that. MOI???
The big chase Sal was refering to, I believe, was in Sasebo when we set fire to a bar for false advertising. I could of won the Olympics that night. No one could've caught me.
My favorite almost story is when chief Fluegal told me to put myself on report, he was too busy...A couple hours later, he asked me if I did in fact put my self on report? I said, "I've been thinking about that chief, and I've decided to give myself another chance"
He lost it big time, and, once again, I fled.
Anyway, my record is 13 write-ups and 1 CO mast! Pretty impressive if I do say so myself. However, I regret to say that I used up all my "chances" in the Navy cause I sure as hell don't get a brake in the civvie world.

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

Captians Mast 22 years 3 months ago #15691

• RTS39
All right you guys I think I gotta pretty good record for being ate up with the dumb ass and getting to go see my good buddy Mack Gaston. I was on the ship only five days when I got busted smoking a "J" down on the lower level of main control by one of those type that you guys were talking about earlier here. The ship then went to San Diego I had my chit in to go home for christmas for a long time we hit San Diego about mid December so I hit them up about my leave they said no way the ship started heading back for pearl. One of the guys in the aft enginroom was taking oil samples and didn't close one of the valves on the spring bearing all the oil drained out locking up our shaft and back to San Diego we went well when we got back I took the first plane to Phoenix. I wound up getting in trouble here in my home town and back I went on a big bird to Pearl had to pay for the flight plus $200.00 a month for two months 45 days restriction and extra duty and a letter of repramand which I still have. Then we hit Bluff Harbor, NZ got it for to drunk to stand my watch, hit Pearth seen him for jumping ship. Was back in Pearl and down in main control with the person who was on watch between the generators under the big exhaust vent when we seen khackies coming down the ladder and ENS. Stakowski was on us before I could get my dog chain which had a roach clip on it back around my neck. So up to see good ole Mack again. He asked me if I wanted out of the Navy and I said "Yes Sir I want out of your Navy" and he said "I would rather see you behind bars then out of the Navy". So I got three days bread and water in the local brig. Some time after that I was down in a small compartment (supply or something can't really remember) with some other guys I think their was about five of us when the hatch swung open and back to see Mack I went again. Another three days bread and water but I was an old salt with this by then they would come around three times a day with a loaf of bread and ask how much I wanted and I would say give me the whole loaf, now you only had 10 minutes to eat so I would eat as much as I could for the 10 minutes and then they would come back for what was left but you got all the water you wanted so then I would drink a bunch of the water and the bread would swell up in my stomach and I would be as full as eating a 10 course meal. Way better than any restriction and extra duty. I didn't get in any more trouble after that but the next ship I went on was heading for Diego Garcia and we hit Subic, well by this time I was really short like 2 months to go. We were supposed to sail on my birthday and we were ready in the engineroom but for some reason they couldn't light fires so the XO gave Cinderella liberty. Yeah, I hit the compartment and was in civilian clothes faster than greased lightning when the chief engineer came waddeling his fat ass into the compartment saying no liberty for engineering. I was one mad pup. On this ship their was over 1200 enlisted men and I knew the quarter deck didn't know me from Adam so I just took it upon my self to hit the beach, after all it was my birthday and all. Needless to say I didn't make it back by midnight but when the let us back on base at 4:00 o'clock there was a lin half a mile long to get back on board the ship and they just took everybodys ID card and informed us we were all on report. Just what I needed. Well payday came and you had to have your ID card to cash your check well I had just gotten off of messcook duty where I had worked in the chiefs mess and my chief had kind of takin a liking to me for some reason god only knows why so I asked him what I should do and he told me to go up to legal and get my card so I got my card and was told to bring it right back but a report has been filed in the master at arms office so if you don't bring it back it didn't matter. I go cash my check and go back down in the hole and the chief asked me if I had taken my card back to legal and I told him no. He than tells me that he was just up in the MAA office and that my report papers had slipped out of his hands some how and fell into the garbage can and to do what I had to do with the ID card. Well the ID card stayed in my wallet and a month later I was on A big bird heading for home. I did meet some people in the Navy that I really had more than a disliking for, and those I feel well they got to live with themselves. Now on the other hand I had some of the best friends that I have ever had too and that way out weighs the ass wipes. THX for the great sitemand GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!! RUSSELL SEAMAN MMFA X2 U.S.S. Cochrane DDG 21

Captians Mast 21 years 6 months ago #15803

• RTS39
WOW Maybe I did get in the most trouble on board after all. As I remember I was an ass.

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds