Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1987 North Arabian Sea deployment 23 years 6 months ago #14328

• billgx
  • Thank you received: 0
If you will recall, during the Iran-Iraq war of the late 1980's, the Kuwaiti oil tankers were re-flagged as U.S. ships because so many were being attacked. When the USS Stark was hit and nearly sunk by an Iraqi exocet missile, the U.S. decided to beef up our presence in the region.

Who was the first ship to report for duty that was not already deployed in the Middle East? I can't back it up, and I have no proof, but I believe it was the Cochrane.

We were homeported (actually forward deployed) in Yokosuka, Japan, but at the time of the incident, we were in the Subic Bay area. They sent us home to Yoko, the married guys had a couple days to kiss their wives goodbye, and we were off to the Arabian Sea for a 6 month deployment. After this happened, I made up my mind I would never marry while in the Navy- too damn hard to make it work.

We weren't permitted to enter the Persian Gulf at that time because that fell to only ships equipped with the CIWS (Close In Weapon System). So we made big donuts in the Arabian Sea with the USS Constellation off the coast of Iran. We were in such a big hurry, we didn't even get to cross the equator on the way. I spent my first I.O. cruise as a slimey polywog! (The trip back home is another story.)

Anyone ever stand a TDT watch? I did. The TDT's were Target Designation Transmitters located just below the Mk 68 Director, and the idea was if the 68 was disabled, the TDT could be used as a fire control director. Additionally, one could send a target designation by visually aiming at it, then the one of the fire control radars could lock on from your designation. Really, I was just another set of eyes on forward lookout.

Occasionally, I got to spend time in Gunplot to work on my equipment operation qualifications. I qualified to operate every piece of equipment in the Mk 68 GFCS that cruise. I was trained on the Mk 68 Mod 19 digital fire control computer system, but I also learned to operate the SPG 53F radar. I remember the Iranians would send aircraft out towards us. We would lock on with the 53F and they would keep coming until just out of range for the 5" guns, then they would turn tail and head home.

I don't recall going to GQ one time, except for an electrical switchboard fire.

Just a few days after we left our station and headed for home, the Iranians acted up, and the USS Hoel, a DDG-2 class ship, was sent into the Persian Gulf and ordered to destroy an oil platform. I felt so cheated, after all that time out there we didn't get to shoot at anything, then right after we left, a sister ship was called into action. Even if we had been called upon for that duty, it hardly compares to Cochrane's past gunnery missions.

One good thing came out of that deployment for me. I gained a lot of experience, which I relied heavily upon in my second trip to the gulf region in 1991 aboard the USS Missouri.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1987 North Arabian Sea deployment 23 years 5 months ago #14548

• wilsonle
Yes, I know what a TDT is. When I reported aboard they where inoperative.
I spent a lot of my first Indian Ocean cruise 80/81, getting them to work.
I managed to get them to designate bearing and range, but I ended up ripping them out and sending them to SIMA in Pearl for a complete refit. (corroded internal circuits, leaks, etc)
SIMA for some odd reason did not stick to conventional labeling of the terminal strips. So 12 months later when I got them back I spent weeks re-installing them and ringing out all the connections. Aside from the labeling SIMA made them look good as new. Inside and out.
REFTRA in 1983 was the first time in years anyone could remember someone standing a TDT watch.
Oh and we where in the Indian Ocean in 80/81 in response to the Iranian Hostage crisis. We went again in 84 as part of a routine deployment out of Yoko. We did go into the Persian Gulf in 81 (this was before Phalanx was in wide usage in the fleet), but not in 84 (this was after Phalanx was installed in a lot of vessels).

CPT(SW) Wilson

1987 North Arabian Sea deployment 23 years 5 months ago #14549

• chassny03
The last time I saw Cochrane was in the IO/Persian Gulf in 1980/1981. I had been recalled to active duty and assigned to USS Independence(groan!) and we operated with her for a few days. I sent a visual message (flashing light) and talked to the signalmen for a while. Brought back many memories. I hope the guys who went to the reunion had a great time(like sailors know) and hope we have another reunion someday soon.
Charlie Snyder

1987 North Arabian Sea deployment 23 years 5 months ago #14583

• Steve Camacho
We had no notice on that '87 deployment, I can't remember how long we had been out of Yoko, I remember having one of our numerous extended Subic port visits with CAPT MaCarthy and then heading to Pusan when we were called back to Yoko for a 5-6 day turnaround to meet up with the Connie battle group. The USS England broke down so we took her place.

When we joined the battle group, no-one but Cochrane could maintain the NTDS link, which showed how experienced the ships from Battle Group 'A' (Midway) were vice stateside ships.

I had the best port call in my career @ Phuket, the rest of the battle group went to Perth and Mac got us into Phuket with another Frigate, after months @ sea, two beers and we were stumbling...

Steve
85-88

1987 North Arabian Sea deployment 23 years 5 months ago #14592

• Yukon
BM3 Eberhard here I remember that trip. I will never forget Phuket The water was cristal clear and my eyes were blurry That was my faviroit port I also remember feeling Left out of the previously mentioned Persian Gulf action. I did see my fill later During the gulf war onboard the Sacramento (AOE-1)

1987 North Arabian Sea deployment 23 years 3 months ago #14819

• N.Roeber
Bill: I remember you....I was a GMM3 at the time and spent most of the time doing Security patrols carrying a .45 (and playing cribbage with Randy Helchen..FC2)! Yes, Phuket was an incredible visit!! Joe Engle and I rented motorcycles and took our new-found 'Thi-chicks' for a ride! During the '87 deployment, Ken Howell (GMM3) and Ron Miklos (DS3) finished their tour and were helo'd off the ship (they both work with me now at Marconi Data Systems!!!!).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds