Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14155

• Al Koblinski
  • Thank you received: 0
It was the Cochrane that tore out the piles on Bravo pier at Pearl. As I recall, in June of 66 coming off a short training cruise, Capt. Shanahan thought he could bring her in without tugs and very nearly did it. I remember watching the ship closing the pier at perhaps 1 ft / minute and thinking this isn't too bad. But 4000 tons is a pretty big force and when it hit the camels, the camels pushed through the pilings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14158

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
It was the Cochrane that tore out the piles on Bravo pier at Pearl. As I recall, in June of 66 coming off a short training cruise, Capt. Shanahan thought he could bring her in without tugs and very nearly did it. I remember watching the ship closing the pier at perhaps 1 ft / minute and thinking this isn't too bad. But 4000 tons is a pretty big force and when it hit the camels, the camels pushed through the pilings.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>Hey Ski, It wasn't the Old Man but rather the XO Mr. Walsh. It was training alright but for the Higher Officers to try and dock #21. That plan was deep sixed after that incident...I think we tore out 11 pilings and ripped a big gash in her starboard bow area....How you been??

Edited by - doty on 02/22/2001 17:44:37

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14167

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Gee Guys... Thanx for setting me straight. It comes back to me now. Indeed, it was XO Walsh dunnit. Shanahan could berth that baby with ease. Memory is unreliable and fickle companion. Too much beer or whatever?

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14180

• dcreed
Doty is right, It was the XO. Does any one remember that Shanahan gave Walsh an extensive lesson in docking and un-docking after that. We called it "Willy Walsh's Perfection in Parking Practice". After that, any time that we were doing extensive maneuvering for whatever reason that required us in the engine and fire rooms to back down a lot or exicute frequent changes in speed some one would yell out "Standby for Willy Walshes Perfection in Parking Practice, Version 12....13...14...etc"

Don Reed MM2 6/66-11/68

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14183

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yes, I remember this incident too. I also remember how good Shannahan was at moving the ship.

Goldsborough incident 23 years 6 months ago #14497

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hey guys! I recall that after Cochrane had been thru the yard job when I was sent to her, she had been converted to burn thet Navy Distalate fuel. (guaranteed to run faster and jump higher!and not to rust, bust, or collect dust), and that for whatever reason, had a bad habit of dropping the load at inoportune times. One such incident I remember quite well was Smokey Joe Bolland and company tearinglike 30 feet of ammo piers all to hell there in pearl, and another "never forgetter"of backing down bravo piers like a bat out of hell, slammin' her into forward, and kaput, tons of black smoke, and no propulsion!Us line handling professionals on the stern got to see the increasing alarm in the faces of the Arizona memoral that we got awfully close to, but were saved the supreme shame that would have bestowed us had we hit the memorial, by a couple of real quick acting tugs.I remember being sorta surprised there were no reprocussions for the wardroom over that close call! Anyhow, Sure looking forward to seein' yall next week! Marc Tuton, STG(boot)3 74-76 later! :o)

SIGNATURE? Sounds too much like computrrese for my comprehension!

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds