Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14065

• MichelTM3
  • Thank you received: 0
December 19, 1972, Our sister ship the Goldsborough got hit (Northern Vietnam), She was dead in the water.
Two crew members died. We were in route to Hong Kong for R&R.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14072

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The Goldsborough was indeed a jinx ship of epic proportions, and had already earned that notoriety in the 60's. There were several incidents, including pitching an ASROC up onto the Bravo piers. The Honolulu papers had a field day cartooning the incident as if they were sighting in on the WAVES barracks. I believe she also got fired upon or almost fired upon by our own aircraft when deployed in Nam waters. I saw her in the mid 80's berthed at a downtown Seattle pier, heading for scrap. The older salts talked of jinx ships in earlier years, and the Goldsborough convinced me they did and do exist.

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14073

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Re Goldsborough in Seattle. My dates are fuzzy. Was probably nearer 1990-92. Sorry.

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14079

• jacktay
I served aboard the Goldsborough from 69 till 71. I then transferred to the Cochrane and made the 72-73 cruise. I didn't find the Goldsborough to be jinx at all, quite to the contrary, we were all proud of the Goldy and thought her to be one of the better ddg's.
We were lucky we didn't get hit on the 72-73 cruise. At that time if I remember right we were making raids on nightly raids on North VietNam.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
The Goldsborough was indeed a jinx ship of epic proportions, and had already earned that notoriety in the 60's. There were several incidents, including pitching an ASROC up onto the Bravo piers. The Honolulu papers had a field day cartooning the incident as if they were sighting in on the WAVES barracks. I believe she also got fired upon or almost fired upon by our own aircraft when deployed in Nam waters. I saw her in the mid 80's berthed at a downtown Seattle pier, heading for scrap. The older salts talked of jinx ships in earlier years, and the Goldsborough convinced me they did and do exist.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14130

• MichelTM3
We were very lucky. I never heard anything about the Goldy being a jinx.

Goldsborough incident 23 years 7 months ago #14139

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My apologies to any Goldsborough offendees. I found the Goldsborough website after I posted. Upon reflection I probably exaggerated the degree of ill luck the Goldsboroughh experienced, but in my part of the 60's she was, of the three, the most notorious. I seem to remember her tearing out about 30 feet of Bravo pier during a berthing in Pearl. Was she towed into Pearl during that era once without power?--perhaps my memory plays tricks?. I also remember hearing over the CIC radio during night Yankee Station operations that our own planes had somehow locked on to her, but believe firing was averted. I th
ink the Cochrane crew of that era thought they were the best of the DDG's. Capt. Shanahan sure did. Glad to hear so few lasting effects of any mishaps. Did she last longest of the three in USN active Commission?

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds