Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

FTM3 Tony Bice 22 years 9 months ago #15316

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry to hear about your bad memories. It must be pretty bad to have to live with these memories for the rest of your lives. I guess we are fortunate that we didn't have to deal with the combat situations that a lot of the guys in Viet Nam did. It really screwed up a lot of people's heads, seeing and doing what they did.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FTM3 Tony Bice 22 years 9 months ago #15345

• Bill Velto
  • Bill Velto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I reported for duty in May 1977. The accidental shooting on board the USS Cochrane took place on Christmas Morning "1976" and not Christmas 1977. The GM who was responsible for this sad event was a very humble man and a native Hawaiian. He carried that grief with him his entire tour. He did finish up his duty on board the Cochrane with dignity and respect and went elsewhere.

The accident was never an issue during the 2 plus years that I served on board. However the accident changed how the Navy used the .45 during Quarter Deck Watch. Originally the pistol carried a round in the chamber, but after the accident the Navy ordered that the pistol be kept empty. No clip and no round in the chamber.

Any life lost while serving your country is honorable. It is just sad that Petty Officer Bice was one of our shipmates!

FTM3 Tony Bice 22 years 9 months ago #15348

• Michael Gray
Just like Bill,I checked onboard in early 1977. It was the Christmas morning of 1976 that this tragic accident took place. I remember being told about this accident, and the effect that it had on me. I was a young 17 yrs. old fresh out of "A" school and checking aboard my first ship. It was something that would have an effect on anybody young or old. I remember thinking at the time, that I didn't want to have anything to do with firearms onboard the ship. Little did I know at that time, that I would be in engineering and not have to stand watches that involved firearms. But at the time, it had me very worried. And I also remember the kind of effect that it had on this GMG3. Even after spending 20 yrs. in the navy and being retired now for 5 1/2 yrs., I still reflect back on this accident often.

FTM3 Tony Bice 20 years 2 months ago #15941

• ENFA Graves
I remember that morning as if it were yesterday. Tony was my new friend, and we had gone out on the beach just a couple of nights before.
He was a nice kid, real bright and soft-spoken. I was pretty upset about it, to the point of cancelling a visit with my Grandparents who were visiting from the mainland. I had a lot of resentment towards Akana afterwards, and felt that he should have been punished somehow, but I know that it was unintentional. Just a very tragic event. -Mike

FTM3 Tony Bice 20 years 2 months ago #15943

• Chuck Bruce
I was assigned to the AN/SPS-39A Radar crew at the time that this incident happened, so Tony worked with me. He was around a very short period of time, and, needless to say, we were shocked when the accident occured, especially knowing that his parents would find out this news on Christmas! I also stood ASROC watches, and am aware of how casually many (myself included) took the handling of small arms. The proper procedure for clearing and turning in the weapon was to eject the clip, point the weapon into the air, jack the slide, release the slide, and pull the trigger. This SHOULD have been done properly and outdoors, rather than indoors. As has been already stated, the Gunner's Mate that pulled the trigger was devastated, and has to live with that the rest of his life. He too, was a very nice guy, and anyone that knew him knew without a doubt that it had to be an accident. I myself transferred off of Cochrane not too long after that, and transferred to Norfolk, VA to the USS John King (DDG-3).

FTM3 Tony Bice 20 years 2 months ago #15944

• bzlomke
Dave:
Wow, what a terrible memory! I did not know him well but the lasting impression of this accident has never left my mind. It had to be hard to accompany him home.
B.Zlomke, EW1 circa 1974-1977

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds