Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

EQUATOR CROSSING 22 years 8 months ago #15398

• steven hurt
  • Thank you received: 0
How many times did COCHRANE cross the equator, and who may recall that one ofthe first crossing the first few selected to run the rigiors were put in immediately as shellbacks so that there were enough on hand to form the ROYAL COURT . Who served as the first ROYAL DOCTOR, ROYAL BARBER, and the ROYAL GARBAGE TUNNEL DIRECTOR, and any other ROYAL capicity that I may not recall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EQUATOR CROSSING 22 years 7 months ago #15438

• thomas mills
The 1st crossing (I think) was on Christmas day in 1968 when providing back-up coverage to the carrier for an Apollo recovery. The C.O. was John Addams and Christmas Eve the Signal men and ET's caught a large bird and put it in the Captains Sea cabin. The Pollywogs were in change and the Steward came up to make up the Sea cabin, and here was this very large very mad bird. The Steward was off like a shot, not to be seen again that night. At crossing time on the 25th, the Captain was to order a 1 gun salute from Mount 1, and it hung the round, had to be cooled with salt water....kissing the belly of the Royal baby left gun grease for days in the eyes, and one poor Seaman
could just not get it right that after the water dunk on the fantail he was then a Shellback...he kept saying Pollywog and kept going under
time and time again. The garbage shute made from FART sacks had
very nice tastes in it, but to all who were cooks on 12-25-68, Congrats to this day for a fine, fine meal on a ship that had grease everywhere, dirty clothes everywhere, and the ship had to be out of cans of deck soap as it was the only thing that cut the grease from the Royal baby.

EQUATOR CROSSING 22 years 7 months ago #15446

• steven hurt
You bet the cooks were the HEROS on that fine day inasmuch as all who injested the ROYAL DOCTORS EXLIXER within 30 minutes found that with a short sit in a narrow cubicile voided ones entire digestive system in one swift flush,including the GREEN eggs and I think purple porkchops. Yes many of us needed some fresh vittles for stomach contents.And for snipe BILL the barbers haircut did grow back! Thank you for the date on the first crossing , were there how many more?

EQUATOR CROSSING 22 years 7 months ago #15448

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'm sure that many of us plank owners are certain that life on Cochrane only went downhill after we left. In reality, it sounds like it got more interesting on a consistant basis, with a few colorful characters occasionally coming along to keep life interesting.
I was on the first two West Pac cruises Cochrane made. I never got to cross the equator. Even though it was rumored we were going a few times, we never got to see Australia. I really wanted to. I'm glad more of you guys are starting to tell us all about the REAL history of Cochrane. The personal stories and experiencies are what gave Cochrane her personality. Keep the sea stories coming guys, it's great to hear about what you experienced.

Wes

EQUATOR CROSSING 22 years 7 months ago #15461

• Michael Gray
Hey Steve, don't know how many times the ship crossed the equator. Do know that during the 1979 SouthPac that we crossed twice. First time we crossed shortly after departing Pearl heading for first port visit to Pago Pago,American Somoa. This was when we conducted our festivites. Also remember that I had just gotten off the 00-04 DC Central watch. Decided that I would sack out awhile in Central in order to keep from getting rudely awakened from my rack.Figured they would find me sooner or later to join the fun.Had just crashed on plotting table,when the next thing I knew a certain GMG1 came busting into Central.He was rounding up all us strays.If I remember correctly
the majority of the crew were Wogs. So the initiation was almost a all day affair. We were all herded like cattle to the forecastle only to be awakened with cold saltwater from firehoses.What a way to start
your morning. Then eating all the weird stuff and climbing through garbage.And everything else that took place. But wouldn't have traded it for anything because I could now say that I was a Shellback! Don't remember everyones name in the Royal Court, but do remember that our civilian electronics tech Mr. Pat Broadwater was Neptune, HMC Dice was
Royal Doctor and OSC Hamm was the Royal Baby. Our second crossing took
place after leaving Jakarta,Indonesia heading to P.I.

Mike Gray HTC USN Ret. U.S.S.Cochrane 1977-1979

EQUATOR CROSSING 22 years 7 months ago #15474

• EJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Shipmates...We did cross in 1971 and the cruise book we have available on this site has a lot of pictures starting on page 62. I'm sure they will bring back vivid memories.
Ed Comes, Royal Baby 71

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds