Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Christmas on the Cochrane 22 years 9 months ago #15318

• billgx
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone have any special memories of Christmas on the Cochrane? I was looking through my old photos and found that it's been 14 years ago I spent my first Christmas away from home, and it was in Yokosuka Japan on the DDG-21.

www.dustdevil.com/ppl/billgx/cochrane/index.htm

Bill Genereux
FC2(SW) 1987-89

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Christmas on the Cochrane 22 years 9 months ago #15319

• billgx
Well, here's my story...

I got to go home on leave my first two years in the Navy because Service School Command, Great Lakes, IL closes down for the holidays.

My first Christmas away from home was spent on the Cochrane in Yokosuka in 1987. I was plenty homesick by then. We tried to cozy it up by decorating gunplot like it was our living room. Heck, it practically was our living room with a tv, stereo, computer, etc. There was a power panel to the MK 68 director that FC1 Dan Martin made into a nice fireplace. We had a tree, and presents from home too.

Martin gave me heck for opening one of my packages from home before Christmas. At the time, I was mad because it was my package and he couldn't tell me what to do with it. Now I see he was just trying to make the best of being away from home, and if everybody opened their gifts on their own, it wouldn't be like a family get-together.

Sorry Dan, I get it now.

Anyway, I remember going to the base chapel for midnight mass. I think Dave Blalock went with me. And I remember it was just really quiet on that old ship at that time. Many people took leave to go home.

The next year, 1988, I planned a surprise trip home for Christmas.

My dad was the only one in on it.

The ship was in Subic Bay, P.I. right before Christmas. I took leave there, and spent about a week in PI before going home. Dave Blalock introduced me to some folks in Cavite, which is south of Manila. I spent a week there, and we went siteseeing around the Manila Bay area. In particular I remember visiting the American Cemetary in Manila, at the request of my grandfather who lost a good friend in the Philippines in the second world war. We found the grave and took some photos to take back.

Then I flew home to Kansas from Manila. That was quite a culture shock. From warm tropics to snowy freezing Kansas in 24 hours.

Mom came into the kitchen for breakfast, and just about had a fit when she saw me sitting there. Only Dad knew I was coming and I arrived late the night before. What fun!

Those were my two Cochrane christmases, and I'll never forget 'em.

Bill Genereux
FC2(SW) 1987-89

Christmas on the Cochrane 22 years 9 months ago #15320

• fugated
I remember one we spent in I belive it was 72-73. We were just being relived by the USS Goldsbourgh on Operation SEADRAGON off the coast of North Vietnam and headed for Hong Kong. The Goldy took a hit just forward of MT52 killing two guys so we had to go back and take her place for a couple of days till we were relived by another ship.

Christmas on the Cochrane 22 years 9 months ago #15324

• MichelTM3
Christmas on Cochrane 72'
I'm sad every Christmas remembering Goldy getting hit and those guys dying, she was dead in the water unable to defend herself. Reminds me of the fear we (Myself & Friends)had onboard Cochrane. Most of the time not knowing where we were. Goldy had just replaced us, it could of been us that got hit.
On the good side I won a BINGO game on the way to Hong Kong. Won three nights at the Mandrain Hotel (five star hotel) and some CASH, But when I went to the hotel I was refused my room, the manager got me a week at the Hilton and more cash instead. Had a great time with Several of my freinds from ASW Division.
MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS

Christmas on the Cochrane 22 years 9 months ago #15325

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Can't remember if it was Christmas or Thanksgiving or Easter. probably 1966- or 67. Involved one of the crew whose identity escapes me, fortunately (please don't dredge up the name, guys!). Our shipmate brought on board in Pearl as his holiday Bogstad Banquet guest a post-operative transvestite. Probably one of Honolulu's finest. Since it was holiday routine, the Officer of the Deck was apparently at a loss as to what to do. But, being a good Christian, he allowed her on board. I'm pretty sure the Old Man and the rest of the upper echelon were not on board. As I recall, he/she dined on the mess decks with many a sidelong glance from the rest us. Was a topic for conversation for many days thereafter.

Paul Anuschat, ETN2, '65-'67)
aka Raging "Bull"

Christmas on the Cochrane 22 years 9 months ago #15335

• EJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Michel...I remember calling that blackout bingo game from the bridge and giving you the grand prize. I just couldn't recall who youwere until I saw your post. Boy, how everyone on board envied you. Hope you had a great time.
E.J.Comes

Edited by - ej on 12/17/2001 10:06:48

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds