Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14939

• schlog
  • Thank you received: 0
Ken , I saw somewhere on our site that you had mentioned our speed and the fact that we were the fastest in the 7th fleet . 37 knots I believe you said . I would have replyed to you your comment there but I couldn't find it .
Here are the facts ( as I remember them ).
When we did sea trials in Puget Sound out of Bremerton we had speed trials .
We went from FULL AHEAD @ 42 knots to FULL ASTEARN @ 16 knots in 62 seconds .
The COCHRANE shook about 9.9 on the richter scale and literally pitched guys out of their bunks .
This I know . The ole girl could HAUL ASS .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14940

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'm not at all surprised. I wasn't on during that time, but I remember when a ROK C-123 went down somewhere in the
Gulf of Tonken and they sent us to find them. We really hauled ass then too. We didn't find anything left of the plane.

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14941

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Pat:
I am the one that said 37 knots and I posted it on the ships specifications page. That is the fastest that I ever witnessed. The boilers were barely holding the load and there was nothing left. Thats all we could pull at that time but no other Adams Class on the west coast could touch us. She must have been a real screamer when she was new, I would have loved to seen 42!!! I know that 37 was an "E" ticket ride.

MM2 83-85

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14942

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Webmaster Extraordinare John, Just wondering how that 37 kts compared with any Adams class on the east coast? Take care, bro!

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14945

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
When I was aboard, Our beloved tin can was converted to burn that "green party aproved" Navy Distalate stuff, and as I recall, she had to strain her guts out to hit 32-32 afterwards, and it took like hours to run up that high. So, Mr. Reed, Mr. Freeman, and all you other masters of steam and manufacture of rpm's, what do yall think of the previously reported 42?

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79, "the atlantic fleet shitcan for officers!"

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14946

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
OOPS! I meant 32-33 kts. (got knocked off my bike by a car the other day, and am now oficially a 1 finger typist...and worse than usual at it!)As a counter point, the glover would barely do 30, going downhill with a tailwind...) but you couldnt hardly stand up back in my VDS Sonar room when it tried, it shook so bad. That piece of gray crap really made the Cochrane shine as an outstanding tin can!

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds