Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

National Geographic documentary 23 years 4 months ago #14785

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I just read in this mornings Parade magazine that there will be a documentary, Pearl Harbor: Legacy of Attack airing next Sunday, May,27 th. Times are 8-10 p.m. EDT on the National Geographic Channel and 9-11 p.m. on NBC. Bob Ballard who discovered the Titanic will be showing the first ever photos of the inside of the Arizona since she was sunk. Also of a Japanese minature sub that was sunk in the harbor 45 minutes before the attack began. Should be interesting to those of us that were in Pearl.
I never set foot on the memorial until my last week in Pearl. After the 66 cruise, I was the engineer on the Captain's gig on my duty days. One day as we were taking him home, the Captain gave us permission to use his gig so I could go to the memorial. I have always been grateful.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

National Geographic documentary 23 years 4 months ago #14801

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Like the thick headed dolt that I tend to be, I never did actually set foot on the memorial, now pretty sad I didnt. Oh well, right? Closest I came to the Arizona memorial was the incident I wrote about elsewhere when we droped the load while backing out from our pier too fast, and damn near ran over it! Thanks for the heads up, Wes!

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79, "the atlantic fleet shitcan for officers!"

National Geographic documentary 23 years 3 months ago #14828

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I just watched something about the attack last night on t.v. I was surprised there is still oil rising from the Arizona. I remember seeing it when I was on the Memorial and it probably had a stronger effect than the memorial itself did. I was just surprised that even now it still is seeping oil.

Wes

National Geographic documentary 23 years 3 months ago #14831

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
We went last night to watch the movie, "Pearl Harbor." It was very good, and I think you guys ought to like it. They did the best they could, but I think that some of the ships they showed in the movie wasn't even thought of in 1941. I guess it would take a bunch of sailors to catch it though.

National Geographic documentary 23 years 3 months ago #14833

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
We were going to see the movie but decided to see it later. After watching the real attack on film last night, I think watching the movie this soon would be a disappointment. I will just stay home tonight and watch the documentary. Thanks for your input about the movie. I hope others post their opinions also.

Wes

National Geographic documentary 23 years 3 months ago #14834

• leathers
Saw "Pearl Harbor" this afternoon. A real tear jerker, but most of the historic stuff was pretty accurate. Richard's right, saw a ship numbered 1062. Don't think thaat one was in use in 1941.
If you want to see a good movie about the attack, "Tora, Tora, Tora" is still the best one for pure history I've seen. That one was filmed when I was on Cochrane, and we were in Pearl at the time, so it is an old movie.

Jim

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds