Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14354

• leathers
  • Thank you received: 0
Al,

Pretty close, but I think it was '66. I believe that they wouldn't let us go to NVN after the '66 cruise. I did find a picture I have of us being under fire, and it looks closer than I remember. My GQ station was in the ECM shack on the signal bridge, so I guess I just popped out and took the photo. All I really remember is being scared as hell, and hiding under the workbench. Then I remembered I was under an aluminum bench inside an aluminum room, so it probably wouldn't matter where I was hiding. I will scan the photo and send it to John, if he wants to post it.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14355

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Jim,
I think I'm glad I didn't know it at the time or I might have been tempted to find a workbench too. My GQ station was the aft battle dressing station in one of the sleeping compartments under the missile launcher.
If you can scan that picture, I would sure appreciate seeing it.

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14367

• bobby
Jim, I recall going to GQ a couple of time during the 69 West Pac and thought one time there was firing at us. Is this correct?

Roger Bobby

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14369

• jim brown
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jim
I was a Gunners Mate on both the 65 & 66 cruises and I don't ever remember being fired upon. I can't understand why I wouldn't remember that. Are you sure we were fired upon on the 66 cruise? If so that changes all my stories and I'm too old to change them now.

Jim

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14370

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Center pages of the 68 cruise book...
I photographed the article out of Stars & Stripes (still have the original slide) The picture of the shot falling came from a sailor on the Osborne. I traded him photos of shot falling with the Osborn in the picture. Don't remember the details of how the pictures were swapped.

Quote from the article...28 June 1968

SAIGON - Two 7th Fleet destoryers were fired on by North Vietnamese coastal batteries Friday about 11 miles northeast of the panhandle port of Dong Hoi.
Neither ship was hit.
The Cochrane and Ozborne returned the fire and reported a loage secondary explosion with a 200-foot column of smoke rising from the suspected enemy gun position.

About 20 rounds were fired at the destroyers, the closest splashing about 100 yards from one of the ships. END QUOTE

As I remember, the officer who had the con (Mr. Araki ?) zigged when he should have zagged, or a round would have landed on or near the bridge, or so the sea story goes...anyone?

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14374

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Horace, I'm very impressed with your great detective work. Now if you can only find a Guided Missile Destroyer!

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds