Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Taking Fire 23 years 5 months ago #14521

• Al Koblinski
  • Thank you received: 0
Cochrane did not take fire from the beach in 66. It was in 68 during the Sea Dragon patrols off Vihn just above the DMZ. The 66 cruise was mostly radar picket and plane guard with the ole Kearsarge. I recall that we only had one firing mission in 66 and that was down south near Nha Trang. To tell the truth, I don't remember "knocking out the shore battery when we were fired at in '68 but I do rememver the B52 air strike a day or 2 later that did knock them out. Yep, 68 was when we got the meritorius unit commendation (ribbon) and the combat action ribbon...(all we had to do is get shot at once for that one! There are pictures in the 68 cruise book (taken from another ship) of the splashes.

"Ski" ETN2 (June 66 to Aug 68)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Taking Fire 23 years 5 months ago #14527

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I actually agree with both of you. I remember mostly doing plane guard (as corpsman I slept under the stars whenever we had to do that) and radar picket duty most of the time, but I do remember when the Marines delivered a radio from the beach to change the frequency, and we fired and hit some good stuff. I don't know what we were shooting at, and what we hit, but I do remember this. Somehow, as corpsman, I did my own shooting. lol

Taking Fire 23 years 5 months ago #14534

• Ron Ballard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I too was on the 21 at the time of the vidio. It seems to me, that myself and a few others,Jef,one f Watson and Landis, Had just stepped out after eating. We had just stepped onto the main deck,by the Doc"s place, when the first burst hit. We knew right away what is was, and headed for our stations,mine being in the forward aux. engine room and pump room. Yes people, those shells hit real close

Taking Fire 23 years 5 months ago #14537

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
RON BALLARD:

There seems to be a minor problem with your account. Would you please email me and I will explain further. Thanks. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

MM2 83-85

Re: Taking Fire 15 years 2 months ago #16458

• tlavizzo
It was Operation Sea Dragon - Tonkin Gulf. The Viet Cing had placed glass fishing balls in the water as we patroled off of the coast, shore battery's began firing over the ship, walking the rounds in. Mount 51 & 52 returned fire at full speed, destroying the bunkers with secondary fires.

Re: Taking Fire 15 years 2 months ago #16459

• fugated
I made the "66"  the "68" the "72-73" as well as the "74-75" and the "76" cruise and the times that we took fire were in "68" and "72-73" .  We were off the coast for the evacuation of Saigon in "75" and went North to help a Veitnam coastal frighter that had refugees on board.

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds