• Page:

TOPIC:

A 45 degree roll on Cochrane going to Japan 22 years 4 months ago #15632

• thomas mills
  • Thank you received: 0
OK, you old salts......In 1969 coming from the NGFS Gun Line
to Japan, in July, we skirted a Tiephone, seas were at least
per my notes 45 feet and at 2114 we took a 45 degree roll. Remember
logging the SHIT cans were flying across the Pilot house, and the OOD brought down the lookouts from the Signal Bridge. First Division had all the Light Lockers secured, but always wondered what happened
on the Mess Decks while all the crew was watching the film? I know from the log notes the Carrier had us in a simi-following sea and the OOD had me note about the screws coming out of the water. I noted on my log for the 0800 to noon watch we had lost all the stored 5"-54 brass the GMG's had stored on the Asroc deck....God do I remember you all with your Tin can stomachs coming down off watch in heavy seas,
passing thru the mess decks and you were eating your very well cooked
extra greasy pork chops.......Ah and the wife wonders to this day, while she can't get me on a Cruise Ship!

Tom Mills/QM2 66>>>>>>>>>>>69^

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: A 45 degree roll on Cochrane going to Japan 13 years 7 months ago #16566

• flyrod
  • Thank you received: 0
cochrane and hw tucker crew member in the early 60s the tucker took a 67 degree roll we lost all life lines ,life rafts and motor whale boat all glass in the bridge was gone and lost part of the fwd stack lost all dept charges and had over twenty  leaks in our hull.the coral sea a carrier took 10 ft waves over its flight deck spent over amonth in yoko welding it back together.dont mess with mother nature. served on cochrane 67-70                                               robert friend

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds