Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Centennial of the U.S. Navy Destroyer 22 years 11 months ago #15228

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
I just thought that I would share this email that I got tonight about the centenial of the US Navy Destroyer. Did anyone realize that the Tin Can will be 100 years old next year? The COCHRANE as well as all other DDG's are not listed on the site yet, but I have informed the webmaster.

Dear USS Cochrane Webmaster,

My name is John Albrighton and I am the Assistant Public Affairs Officer for the Director of Surface Warfare in the office of the CNO.

As you probably know, next year (2002) will be the Centennial of the U.S. Navy Destroyer. I am currently working to coordinate the efforts of the Navy to properly commemorate this significant birthday of the U.S. Destroyer Force.

One of our first efforts has been putting together a website www.surfacewarfare.navy.mil/destroyercentennial I will admit the site is a little weak at this time and pales in comparison to the outstanding USS Cochrane site which you maintain. We are working on improving the content of the site each day.

If possible, I was hoping for your assistance in spreading the word about the Destroyer Centennial and the corresponding website in the form of a link from your site to our site. This small gesture would greatly help to increase exposure and "pass the word" regarding the Destroyer Centennial.

Also, I was hoping to inquire if the USS Cochrane Association has any
special plans in the works for next year to celebrate the Destroyer
Centennial. We are hoping to include a comprehensive list of the events being planned by the destroyer associations and other Navy groups on our website.

If you require further information or have any questions please do hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to seeing the Destroyer Centennial link on your web page.

John C. Albrighton
N761P1
Assistant Public Affairs
OPNAV N76

MM2 83-85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Centennial of the U.S. Navy Destroyer 22 years 11 months ago #15229

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Webmaster extraordinare Sir John- Thank you very much as per usual for sharing this info. Mr. Albrighton's description of "our" website is so true! As for a special celebration for the Tin Can Centennial, perhaps a case of well iced San Miguel for all hands that show up at the next Cochrane re-union, with the bill and our forthcomming bar tab picked up by the U. S. Navy should be an apropriate salute! Doty and Mr. Freeman, do I hear a second and third on this proposal? :o) May everyone have a great one! Aloha!

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79,"The Cow Killer"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds