Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14159

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I used a lot of TCE in the electronics industry until it was banned in the late 70's as I recall. OSHA probably has reports. The main problem was from the Chlorine. It accumulated in the liver and caused damage there. Often this can be detected with a liver enzyme test. Often hard to tell if the liver damage is from the chemicals or heavy boozing. The effects are about the same as from other chlorinated solvents like "dry cleaning fluid" (Carbon tetrachloride).

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote> OOHH! Not good. I am hard enough on my liver without any outside help. I used it by the gallons while a tech at GM...think I'll have a beer :o)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14161

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
I sure remember lots of "trike" when I was onboard. The ABC (automatic boiler controls) lab right off of the mess decks used gallons of it. I spent alot of time in there. Doty....I think I will join you in a cold one!

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 4 months ago #14777

• schlog
I remember using a lot of Trike in the IC room to clean just about everything , but I better remember the straight grain alcohol we used to have to use to clean the Salinity Cells (salt water detectors) that were scattered about the engine and boiler rooms .
We IC"s checked it out in 5 gallon cans and it took about 1/2 ounce to clean all the cells . The rest we poured in coffee cups along with a bit of kool-aid powder (any flavor) . Used to have a lot of visitors to the IC room after extended periods at sea after everyone's private stashes had run out .

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 18 years 4 months ago #16190

• dotrock
I've had similar experiences with TCE and the "new and improved"
trichlor III. We used it in the oil field basically as a non-
flammable degreaser and moisture chaser. As others have mentioned
perhaps TCE was not the cause of the greater liver damage.

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 18 years 3 months ago #16206

• flyinhawaiian
<font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma"><font size="3"></font id="size3">
<b></b>Aloha mates. I have been in the painting biz for over 22 years. I am a certified hazardous product handler, and have been to numerous classes and seminars on materials and solvents. The long term effects of Trichlorethylene are central nervous system damage. resulting in memory loss. liver and kidney failure (with prolonged exposure), and is known to be carcinogenic. 1 hour of skin absorbtion is equal to 4 hours of vapor inhalation. Not trying to scare you, just inform you. Aloha, Thom Vial

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds