Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Old Log Book 23 years 7 months ago #13974

• Admin
  • Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I don't know how many of you knew this,but film star/commedian Martha Ray (famous in 40's & 50's now deceased)supposedly christened Cochrane. I was aboard from 64-66 and she came to see us a couple times. Once she even put on a show for us. I will scan a picture from the 66 cruise book. Jim Brown GMM3 8-64 to 12-66
24 Jan 2001

The topic has been locked.

Old Log Book 23 years 7 months ago #13975

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone remember when the boilers blew up on one of the first cruses off the coast of vietnam or somewhere in that area. We had several crew memebers injured and had to go into subic bay for repairs in was in 1965
24 Jan 2001

Old Log Book 23 years 7 months ago #13976

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey John Hicks, don't know what happehed to Murray, but he was aboard when I left in November of '69, he was to take care of the "Fickle Finger of Fate" Ashman(Dusty) bought in either Taiwan or Subic Bay. The "Finger" was approx a meter or more tall... Harry (Al Harris) 24 Jan 2001

Old Log Book 23 years 7 months ago #13977

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was one of the corpsmen who worked with the guy when the boiler blew up. This was one memory I also have of Cochrane. I can't remember his name, but we flew him off to the carrier and he never came back. This happened in the cruise in either 65 or 66, I can't remember. I would like for us all to figure out when the Cochrane will be scrapped, and everyone of us hold up our glass to her. Thanks for all of the hard work to keep this site going. You did great. Richard Cooper, HM3 65-67
24 Jan 2001

Old Log Book 23 years 7 months ago #13978

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi and My name is Kevin Howe..I served aboard her between 76 to 80.. I was a boatswains mate third class and I loved my job! top deck in the pacific! and a south pac! I haven't seen anything on here about the Gold Bullnose of the ship..remember her bullnose on the front of the ship was painted gold..know why? when they laid her keel. she came out to be one foot and 7 inches longer than she was supposed to be..so they painted the front bullnose gold..I have a bunch of pictures and a ships book if i can find it...reading this page sure brings back alot of memories ;)
24 Jan 2001

Old Log Book 23 years 7 months ago #13979

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I believe it was 1A boiler that blew. We had just left Okinawa as I recall. We went to Subic for a few days and then to Yokosuka for repairs. We were there 21 days If my memory is right. I don'remember who got hurt. I remember Martha Raye flew out to the ship while we were off Viet Nam, to celebrate her birthday with us once. It was Aug. 27th. I remember it as it was also my birthday. Wes Carroll
25 Jan 2001

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds