Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Vietnamese Refugee Boat 14 years 5 months ago #16515

• lknguyen
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear the Sailors of the USS Cochrane,
On this website, there are pictures of a Vietnamese refugee boat, named Tourane 3, that the USS Cochrane gave aid to, on May 2, 1975, just outside the Vietnamese water.  I was one of the refugees on that boat at that time, and was watching the USS Cochrane approaching our boat like angels appearing on the open sea. I was a 14 years old boy then. There were about 500 of us on that boat; about 100, mostly men, on deck as shown in the pictures, and 400 more, mostly women and children squeezed up under the deck. We had taken off from Saigon River several days earlier, right after the South Vietnamese government collapsed and surrendered to the North Vietnamese Army. After we reached the international water, we were running out of food and water. The boat engine was breaking down. Disagreements broke out between different factions of the ARVN soldiers on which direction we should go; each wanted to commandeer the boat. We were in a very dangerous and desparate situation when the USS Cochrane came to our aid. You saved our life that day. You gave us food and water, and diffused the tense and explosive situation.  You gave us hope and lifted our spirit. We were eventually picked up by an ARVN navy ship, the HQ-16, and taken to the Phillipines. There, we were transfered to the SS Green Forest and taken to Guam, and eventually settled down in the US. My family and I are now US citizens and scattered over several states. I would like to thank the sailors of the USS Cochrane; you are indeed our angels.  I would like to thank especially the sailor who took the pictures and made them available for all of us. Loc Nguyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The Vietnamese Refugee Boat 14 years 5 months ago #16517

• TomFleming
That is an awesome story! I was not on board at that time, but was onboard Cochrane in 1980 when we rescued Vietnamese refugees again with low food and water and motor was not working. We also felt great at rescuing people in need of help.

Re: The Vietnamese Refugee Boat 14 years 5 months ago #16518

• tag
I was on  the Cochrane that day. This is the first time since then that I have seen that boat or this story.

I pause and say a prayer on April 30 every year as remembrance of the fall of Saigon.

This story made me feel good. Thank you Loc Nguyn please be a good citizen.

Not only remember and thank the USS Cochrane DDG 21 but also remember the 50,000 plus that sacrificed the ultimate.

Re: The Vietnamese Refugee Boat 14 years 5 months ago #16520

• lknguyen
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Yes, I am very grateful for all the service men and women, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice, fighting for our freedom and liberty in Vietnam and elsewhere in the world.  I never forget.

Re: The Vietnamese Refugee Boat 14 years 5 months ago #16521

• westric
Loc Nguyen,

This is such an amazing story.  I am the sailor who took the pictures. I will remember it forever. I had no idea there could be so many people aboard such a small vessel.
  I wish you could have seen the smile on my face when I read your message. I am so happy something good happened to everyone. I wish you and your family all the best and am glad you have all found the American dream..

Re: The Vietnamese Refugee Boat 14 years 5 months ago #16522

• lknguyen
Dear Richard,
I am so happy to see your response. I, too, wish you could have seen my emotional face when I found these pictures. It was so unreal. I printed out one picture, framed, and hung it on the wall of my office, so it can remind me everyday how fortunate I am, and all the people who helped me find the American dream; a dream that on that boat 35 years ago, I had thought would have had been possible only in a fairy tale.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds