Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crossing the Line 15 years 10 months ago #16377

• billgx
  • Thank you received: 0
On 12 November, 1988 (twenty years ago today), the USS Cochrane entered the royal domain of King Neptune. I was a slimy wog going in, and a trusty shellback going out. We crossed at 106° 35' E. just south of Singapore.

Seems a lifetime ago now, and civilians I work with are incredulous about the whole thing. You really did that? Incredible!

So, when and where did you all become shellbacks on USS Cochrane?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crossing the Line 15 years 10 months ago #16378

• Michael Gray
Hi Bill,
I became a shellback onboard during Cochrane's famous 1979 SouthPac cruise at about halfway between the Hawaiian Islands and the Samoan Islands at Latitude 166 Degrees 00 West. We were on our way from Pearl Harbor to our first port visit of Pago Pago, American Samoa. On
January 28th 1979, over 300 of us lowly wogs were initiated into the Realm of Neptunus Rex. One of the most memorable days of my 20 year naval career.

HTC Mike Gray USN Ret.
HTFA/HTFN/HT3 U.S.S. Cochrane 1977-1979

Crossing the Line 15 years 10 months ago #16379

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Almost 40 years ago...
Christmas day 1968..Lat & Long are written in a book at my office.
Part of the Apollo 8 recovery crew..
I was one of the ship's photographers and went thru the ceremony at the front end
so the fart sacks only had the garbage and eggs in them...no puke!
Great water fight when it was over!

Crossing the Line 15 years 9 months ago #16383

• ratrat4563
  • Thank you received: 2
I managed to cross three times onboard COCHRANE. I crossed the first time on the 71 cruise. Seemed I did such a good job the day before we crossed that I earned special privileges for the initiation ceremony. They came looking for me at midnight and it only got worse as the day went on.

Crossed the second time in 75 where I was the royal brat and got to give all the wogs a special treat. Was much more enjoyable then the first time.

Crossed again towards the end of her (88 or 89) career when I was a sand crab and was riding her to fix the missile radar system. I knew it was fixed but the CO wouldn't let me leave until he saw it work underway, ended up riding from Yokosuka to Singapore with the added thrill of catching the tail end of a typhoon around the PI. The CO was all set to run me through the ceremony until I showed him the old cruise books which were in the wardroom and my weathered shellback card.

Crossing the Line 15 years 9 months ago #16384

• joechuck51
I too, was aboard the Cochrane DDG-21 when we crossed the line in 1968. I remember it was Christmas day. At the time, I thought "How ironic to cross the line on Christmas day. After all the "festivities" I had watch on the signal bridge. I was a 3rd class signalman at the time. I was a lowly polywog at the beginning and emerged a loyal shellback. I have the certificate to prove it. Aii we were allowed to wear was dundarees and shower shoes. After it was all over, I took off my dungarees and threw them in the ocean. What a mess they were. A couple of things about it all I remember is one-At the beginning we were sprayed with water from the fire hoses,let it dry and sprayed us again and again. After several of these spray jobs, we were hit with cut up fire hoses on our butts. We went the full length of the ship on our hands and knees. Some of the fellas got carried away and was hitting on the bare backs. This drew blood and the Captain had to stop that. He said "Just on the butts". if I remember right, the Captain was a lowly polywog to start also. Two-At the end,we were each dunked in a big tub of water. After each push under water, we were asked in a loud voice "WHAT ARE YOU?" and we would say "lowly polywogs sir". After several dunks they would say "Next time you say "Loyal shellback sir" and they would let us out if we did. The fella in front of me came up for the 5th or 6th time and replied "DROWNING SIR."................... He didn't. I was lucky to get the crossing on CD and still have it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds