• Page:

TOPIC:

SAVING AN ADAMS CLASS DESTROYER 19 years 4 months ago #16095

• JAMES SLAYTON
  • JAMES SLAYTON's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
<font face="Script MT Bold"></font id="Script MT Bold">
THERE ARE ONLY 2 DDGs LEFT, ALL COONTZ CLASS DLG/DDGs ARE GONE. THESE 2 GUIDED MISSSLE CLASS DDGs FOUGHT FROM VIETNAM TO THE GULF WAR. THEY WERE INSTRUMENTAL IN THE COLD WAR, AND CUBAN MISSLE CRISES. THE FIRST DLG/DDG MISSLE DESTROYER FROM THE GROUND UP WAS THE USS DEWEY AND CDR ELMO ZUMEWALT WAS THE FIRST CO (LATER WAS A ADM AND CNO). THESE SHIPS CHANGED NAVAL HISTORY BRINGING US INTO THE MISSLE AGE. TWO COUNTRIES AUSTRALIA AND GERMANY ALSO USED THESE SHIPS.TO WIPE OUT NAVAL HISTORY FROM 1959 TO 1990 IS UNTHINKABLE. ONCE THEY ARE GONE ALL THAT WILL BE LEFT ARE SOME PICTURES, VERY LITTLE FILM, AND SHIPMATES MEMORIES. I REMEMBER THE PLAN OF THE DAY FOR THE COCHRANE HAD A HEADING OF "MY SHIP, MY SHIPMATE, MY SELF". WELL SHIPMATES IT'S TIME DO SOMETHING.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SAVING AN ADAMS CLASS DESTROYER 19 years 1 month ago #16108

• Paul Anuschat
  • Paul Anuschat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Cochrane Shipmates:

I copied the below item re Saving an Adams Class from one of my web sources for my second DDG, the Lynde McoCormick (DDG-8). COCHRANE WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE MY NO.1!!! Anyhow, McCormick is lucky to have a keeper of the culture like our own John Freeman and others, who prod the rest of his shipmates from time to time in a friendly way. He is a former ET shipmate of mine and lives near me in good old Portland OR. Bless guys like him and John and you others (You Know Who You ARE) who keep the Faith.

I don't think a $10.00 check to the below group, in the name of COCHRANE, of course, will harm anyone too much. Looks like I'm on the hook for $20, inasmuch as I had two Adams-class experiences, but my charitable/good deeds budget has been on the cheap side lately, and I can always go back to the cheap Scotch for a month or so. If anyone has better info. on the below or can reduce my ignorance on the subject, please do so. Looking forward to a post or two here, even if it is summer and Prime Time for many of us.

Paul Anuschat, ET '65-'67

"It looks like St. Petersburg, Florida, might be willing to take it, but it costs a lot of money. They are looking for a $350 donation per ship as seed money for this project, but our association does not really have any available cash. If you would like to make an individual contribution and indicate that you are a USS LYNDE McCORMICK (DDG-8) shipmate I am certain they would be glad to hear from you. I intend to send in my own contribution. They want these contributions by August 15, 2005. You can send a contribution to:

Adams Class Veterans Association, Inc.

Dave Myerly

5 Bush Road

Denville NJ 07834-2906

If the ADAMS can be saved they intend to have a room on her for every ship in the class where that ship’s memorabilia can be displayed. It would be a shame if this fine ship met the same fate as her sisters in one of the finest class of ships that had been built up to the time of the ARLEIGH BURKE Class (which is a truly marvelous class of ship).

Shipmates forever,

Bob Wefald, 65 - 67"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds