Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re-open the topic of a new Cochrane. 21 years 6 months ago #15779

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
A lot of time has passed, and I've kept a low profile mainly because of demands of my job. I have been re-reading some of the postings from last year and would like to take up the issue of a new Cochrane again. This really is important to me! Would those of you who wanted to before still be willing to work on this, and are there any others willing to help. If they can name another tin can after the Sullivans, why not Adm. Cochrane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-open the topic of a new Cochrane. 21 years 6 months ago #15790

• J C Reynolds
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Coop,
I respect your energy and enthusiasm and have noted that you're looking for help, not hindurance. I just can't help but comment that, I think, the Admiral, his heirs and assigns, should be happy that he inspired the naming of one (tin can/naval vessel). Lets give someone else a chance ... maybe launch a new concept, as in: USS CREWS of THE COCHRANE, DD_-___.
John

Re-open the topic of a new Cochrane. 21 years 6 months ago #15792

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I might agree with the concept of giving someone else a chance on this, if the precident hadn't been set. Don't get me wrong, I think the Five Sullivans should have a ship named after them too. But I think Admiral Cochrane's contribution in WWII was so important to our success that another one would not be out of the question.

In case anyone is not aware of what he did for us, he oversaw all shipbuilding after the mess at Pearl Harbor. We owe our modern navy to him as well as an afternoon aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay in 1945. Benjamin Stoddart has had a couple of ships named after him. I teach US history and would have to look up to see what he did. Why not Admiral Cochrane?

You did have a great idea. Anyone know how I might contact Admiral Cochrane's family to see how they feel about this?

Re-open the topic of a new Cochrane. 21 years 6 months ago #15793

• Michael Gray
<font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">Hey there Coop, like you and also many other former crewmember, I would also like to see another ship named after Admiral Cochrane. Just recently got in contact through this website with a former shipmate of mine, EM3 Charles Stewart. Have talked to him on the phone, and come to find out that he goes to the same church as Mack Gaston. Mack was our CO onboard the Cochrane from 1977 to 1979. He is now a retired Admiral, and Charles told me that he belongs to alot of Navy Associations in the DC area. Maybe I could talk to Charles, and see if he could talk to Admiral Gaston and try to get him involved in this effort. Don't know what he might be able to do, but it's always worth a try.

Michael Gray HTC USN Ret.
HT3 Cochrane 77-79

Re-open the topic of a new Cochrane. 21 years 6 months ago #15795

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Mike,
Anything you can do. I think that this would be a great place to start. How about letting me know what he says. Also, we have a new senator in Georgia. I might try to write him, too.

Thanks for doing this.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds