Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Let's try again to Rename a USS Cochrane 22 years 3 days ago #15717

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I tried to get something going before, but found little interest. Would anyone like to help get another ship renamed USS Cochrane. I am working for the reelecttion of Sen. Max Cleland here in Georgia. He has already sent something to the Navy Dept. for me, and they have already told me that our chances are slim. If they heard from enough people, I think our chances would improve. Please let me know if you are interested. If not, I guess I'll just drop it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Let's try again to Rename a USS Cochrane 21 years 11 months ago #15719

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Richard:

Like the Reunion, I suspect your quest to get a new vessel renamed Cochrane is a great idea, but victim to the broad, divergent, and probably distracted levels of interest among this website's contributors. Not to mention the fact that they're not building them at the rate they used to. I think it would take one helluva an effort to accomplish your goal--sort of like the speed record some of the later crew talked about setting. The whole damn crew must've been pretty together to get her moving that fast--and pretty damn proud of their accomplishment--if not then, probably now.

I wish we could all focus on something that would unite us in our interests. (Of course, this is coming from a heavy union guy in my recent past.) Too bad you can't get that old square needle out you used to work so skillfully, and give everyone a little jab in the arm!

Best wishes for Sen Cleland. He is a good guy in my book. We have one or two here in Oregon, as well, but I'd like to get some sense of common and dedicated interest among others in the crew before I hauled off on a reanaming campaign at this time.

Wonder if the winter winds will bring back some renewed interest in organizing something?? God knows I've been having my share of fun this summer, despite the lame pins. Sort of storing up for the NW monsoons that run roughly fron Nov.-May/June.

Hope we hear some other inputs before next summer rolls around.

Paul ('65-'67)

Let's try again to Rename a USS Cochrane 21 years 11 months ago #15721

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks, Paul. I still would hope that something can be done about renaming another ship Cochrane, but like you, I think the chance is slim to none. Either way, I believe in this so I will keep slugging away because this has been done for other ships and I feel Admiral Cochrane has done enough for this country that he deserves the honor. I think the Cochrane has done enough for this country that she deserves the honor. I think every man who ever served on her has done enough for their country that they deserve the honor. If I have to do this alone, I'll do it.

By the way, is my memory slipping Paul, but I don't recall many of my needles getting to the arm. I remember most of them a bit south of there.

Thanks for your encouraging words, and hope I get to see you again some time at a Cochrane reunion or the launching of another Cochrane.

Richard Cooper HM3
65-67

Let's try again to Rename a USS Cochrane 21 years 11 months ago #15728

• RTS39
Hello again shipmates;
At first when I seen this forum I just dismissed it because my feeling was that I did not want to see another ship named after the old bucket of bolts I had served on. That ship was extra special to me for not only the good times I had but for the bad times too. I knew main control like the back of my hand, mostly because I spent most of my term restricted to her. My thinking was there could be no other ship worthy of this name because of the men that served proudly next to me aboard this massive marvel of technology for its time, and that they could dismantel, cut, crush, burn or whatever else possible to the frame and insides but the ship would never die for it will live on forever in heart, mind, body and soul of every sailor that had the special privalidge to be a part of her. I have changed my mind though about this after reading the posts in this topic. I would truly love the witnessing of another more advanced marvel of modern man leaving the shipyard to carry on the namesake of that old rust bucket that I have some of my most fondest memories of in my life. If for no other reason, so that in the future there would be a man having the same feelings that I carry very dearly in my heart. In closing I have to say this though, the COCHRANE DDG-21 will never die as long as I am around to talk about it so good luck on all efforts toward this most worthy cause. RUSSELL SEAMAN MMFA '78 TO '80

Let's try again to Rename a USS Cochrane 21 years 11 months ago #15735

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks, Russell. As I was reading your words, I was thinking that your feeling for Cochrane is exactly why I would like to see another ship named Cochrane. I think that the Navy has to transfer the bell and certain items aboard the new Cochrane so a piece of all of us will ride the waves. Right now with the election a few weeks away is a bad time to try. After November 5th, I am going to begin again pushing my congressmen. I might even write the President.
Thanks, again for you words about the best ship ever.

Richard Cooper, HM3
65-67

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds