Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carol Diane Torres' Birthday 23 years 2 months ago #15026

• Sal Cedillo
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey gents and family visitors,

While I was in the Navy and most often extremely far away from home, I couldn't get many visits from familiar faces, or those that I had left behind at a young age. Notwithstanding, while I was stationed at the Fleet Combat Training Center Atlantic in Dam Neck, Virginia a young lady who had been much like a sister, but was my cousin surprised me at the Chief's Barracks I was stayin at their on Virginia Beach. Don't ask me, I was only an E-3 but had a 54 week gun school scheduled, so they put me up in the Chief's quarters. Anyway, my cousin Carol had just married a sailor since I had enlisted and was away from family matters. He was ST2 Jesse Ramos, and my beloved cousin wished to surprise me by coming down from Norfolk, where he was stationed, so we could all meet. We had great fun and shared many memories that I'll never forget that weekend.

Tragically, not long after I left the Navy this beautiful Navy wife, and my sister/cousin lost her life in violence. I love her very much and wish to extend to her a very Happy Birthday Wish and to let our family know that I'll never forget Diane in prayer and thought. If your read this note today, please join me in a short moment of silence for the repose of Carol Diane's soul and in memory of her shining spirit and always vivacious personality.

GMG Cedillo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carol Diane Torres' Birthday 23 years 2 months ago #15027

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Sal,
You've got it, buddy. I'm very sorry for the loss of your cousin/sister and hope that you and your family as found solace since her loss.

Carol Diane Torres' Birthday 23 years 2 months ago #15028

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think that in the past couple of weeks we've been talking about Martha Raye. From what I hear, she was the person who helped commission Cochrane. That may not be correct, but it's what I've understood by reading some of our postings.
For what Ms. Raye did for us when we were in the war zone, I say we should mention her here, and honor her.

Carol Diane Torres' Birthday 23 years 2 months ago #15029

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Sal, I'm sorry for your loss. A natural death is hard. To lose someone to violence must be extra tough to bear.
Richard, I was there at the beginning and I don't recall a thing about Martha Raye until Viet Nam. I honestly don't think she was involved with us before that time. She did help our morale though. Her involvement pretty much destroyed her career. These younger guys probably don't have a clue who she was beyond the Polident commercials.

Wes

Carol Diane Torres' Birthday 23 years 2 months ago #15030

• chassny03
I think you re right, Wes, she came to Cochrane the first time in Vietnam; this is not to diminish her contribution to the military in any way, and she does deserve our thoughts and prayers. She was primarily an army person, but her devotion shouldn t be overlooked by any of us veterans.

Carol Diane Torres' Birthday 23 years 2 months ago #15031

• chassny03
Sal, I lost a son to an accidental death; it is indeed tragic. I empathize with you and yours, and will think of you often and hope you find a way to cope

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds