Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ETC Willie Loggins 23 years 6 months ago #14364

• chassny03
  • Thank you received: 0
Chief Loggins death is not recent, but he was a plankowner, left the ship for Dam Neck sometime in 1967, I think. I ran into him in Charleston in 1975, and he died sometime in 1977, I think

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ETC Willie Loggins 23 years 6 months ago #14408

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks, Chief, for remembering "Willie". Don't know if we ever called him that to his face, but the nickname carried a lot of notoriety with it, even if not total respect and awe. He was the personifcation of an Old Salt to us, and so full of Baloney or some other substance that it couldn't be measured.

Several of the ET's would do imitations of his monologues about the old days, usually starting with an arm around your shoulder and his face inches away from yours with something like: "Yes lad, back in '44 when I was at Gitmo with Admiral Nimitz, I said to him, I said, Chester, you know, here's what I think we oughta do..."

He smoked and affected cigars from which he would cultivate the damndest halitosis this side of an open sewer in Japan or the PI at morning muster, but he had merry smile and twinkle in his eye that I remember still with all of the above.

I heard he lost his wife not too long after I left. If this was true, did he remarry?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds