Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Don Sutman MMC 23 years 6 months ago #14289

• Marvin Hanks
  • Thank you received: 0
Don Sutman passed away January 3, 2001. He was part of the per commission crew in Seattle and assiged to A gang. Don left the Cochrane in 1966?

He was assigned to the Navy base Pearl Harbor before retiring to Virgina and finally to good old IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Don Sutman MMC 23 years 6 months ago #14291

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Marv, Thanks for the information. Do you remember several of us bought cresent type wrenches in Yokosuka, and I think it was you that nicknamed them Sutman wrenches as he always was a stickler for using the proper tool. I was working in a fan room one day and asked whoever it was helping me to hand me my Sutman wrench. I turned around and Sutman was standing there. He never said a word.

Don Sutman MMC 23 years 4 months ago #14666

• Marvin Hanks
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Wes

Sorry for not getting back to you. We had computer problems and doing a lot of traveling

I don't remember the crescent wrench episode. but i do remember a few good laughs we had on chief Sutman. One I never foget is when he had the idea for us to grade our reviews, because he heard that most people would grade themselves lower. At the time, 4.0 was the best grsde so I figured what the hay I'm 4.0/3.8 sailor all the across. never aain was I asked to grade my own review.

It's a shame Drcatur Il is a little over 100 miles from I live. After all these years we never got together to tell sea stories.

There is a lesson here as my wife and I learned after losing our oldest daughter and a brother unexpectedy. Never take life for granted.

Marv.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Don Sutman MMC 23 years 4 months ago #14667

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Marv,I know we used to joke about the chief but he was always pretty damn good to all of us. I remember our first year in Pearl, he used to let us keep our liberty cards and we could always leave early for liberty if we had our work done.
I am sorry to hear you lost your daughter and brother. I'm thinking you had two daughters, and wasn't your wife's name Yoshko?
I hope to see you and a lot of other shipmates if we can all make it to next years reunion.

Don Sutman MMC 23 years 4 months ago #14668

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
P.S. Marv. Remember Mammenga? We called him runt. It may have been him that came up with the Sutman wrench idea. Between him and Tommy Williams,they seemed to always be coming up with some off the wall ideas.

Don Sutman MMC 23 years 4 months ago #14817

• Marvin Hanks
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
P.S. Marv. Remember Mammenga? We called him runt. It may have been him that came up with the Sutman wrench idea. Between him and Tommy Williams,they seemed to always be coming up with some off the wall ideas.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>Who can forget the runt, Mammenga. After the intiation we gave him when he made First Class, I'm sure he will never forget us. He fell asleep under our kitchen table and we put make-up on him. I have a picture of that day.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.509 seconds