Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Break away music 19 years 6 months ago #16054

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
My fave memory of said chief was the time the E/W's pushed one of thier "magic buttons", and sure enough in just moments the Roosky spy planes were flying over at masthead altitude. Evans delivered rooskys his infamous salute from atop Mt. 51. I always wondered how long the Krimlin analized THAT photo trying to interprit it's meaning! <:-) <:-) I had been hoping to read of his whereabouts but alas nothing yet.Evans always made me smile, (but then of course I never worked for him!!! :-) ) May yall have a great day, mates! Marc the sonar snipe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Break away music 19 years 6 months ago #16056

• jdtoney

[/quote]
Hey Marc,
What do you mean the sonar snipe, I was the "TRUE SONAR SNIPE". I was once a ST1 due to take the test for STC then made STS2, then STS3, then went on the river in Nam as EN3/STS3, came bcck from there as an EN2, retired as an EN1, was to make ENC on the first increment but didn't want to extend another 2 yrs, due to I knew I had a job in the Naval Shipyard there in Pearl. But you can be the sonar snipe. Chief Evans was always good for a laugh when you didn't work for him.
J D Toney, USN Ret. EN1/ST1

Break away music 19 years 6 months ago #16058

• Michael Gray
Hey Bobby Jones, if my memory serves me correctly we also played The Who's "Going Mobile" as a breakaway song during the 77-79 time frame. If anybody can help refresh my memory on this, please feel free to assist.

Mike Gray HTC USN Ret.
HT3 1977-1979

Break away music 19 years 6 months ago #16060

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi there Jerry! I am sorry for treading on your "Sonar Snipe" domain! On the last ship I was on, the sonar gang spent alot more time being farmed out to chip, scrape and paint nasty bilge areas and other spaces for the engineer ratings than we got to spend on our own spaces, hence we were refered to as sonar snipes by the "real" snipes. I am sorry, but no one ever told me you had been an ST! I knew that Charlie Rupe, who came aboard just before I left had been a BM1 (or was it a BMC? Some details are beginning to fade!! :-) )before becomming an ST. My Apologies and I shall surely refrain from such references in the future! (I guess in retrospect it was bad form to combine stuff from my last can to Miss Cochrane. Hell, Cochrane was such a superior can in ALL respects to my last one that I should have known better!! As for the break-away tune during my time on Cochrane, it was a quasi-bluegrass type thing that "rat-rat" posted much about a couple of years ago- and is in the archives of this site I would guess. marc tuton, just another ex-ping jock :-)(and as Leo Kottke would say, just another Actual American Nobody) :-)

Break away music 19 years 6 months ago #16063

• jdtoney
Hey Marc, no need to apologize, I was just messing with you, but I was a Sonarman on DD-789 (made STG3 in "A" school San Diego from there), changed over to Sub Sonar in "A" school went to the SS-350 Boat as STS3. Then to DDG-17 made STG2 went to "B" school in Key West and then to DDG-22 on Sea Dragon as leading Sonarman under STC Moore, then to NAVFAC Ramey made ST1, but SOSUS shoreduty was my downfall (guess I was just a seagoing sailor and wasn't cut out for that kind of shore duty). I wasn't even a real snipe according the the hole snipes, I had "A" Gang (freash air type snipe) on the good ole DDG-21 after a tour in country Nam as a Engineman. Later, Toney

Break away music 19 years 5 months ago #16083

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1971-1973 the song was One Paddle, Two Paddle by Kui Lee

One paddle, two paddle, three paddle,
Four to take me home
Fourteen on the right, fourteen on the left,
Take me to Hawaii nei, no ka best.

I went away a long time
Such a long time, a long time ago
Seen enough cities to last a lifetime
Goin' away no more

I want to smell the flowers,
The sweet flowers when the trade winds blow
Seen enough fences to last a lifetime
Goin' away no more

Yes, take me to my lover
My fair lover, I left long ago
Felt enough sorrow to last a lifetime
Goin' away no more

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds