Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South -Pac 1979 17 years 1 month ago #16288

• Bill Velto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dave,

Where did you run into Mack Gaston? He and I emailed each other a few years back when he was with a think tank in Virginia. He actually remembered me after a story I was telling him, he even finished the story and then thanked me findng him. He had asked me to call him, but I lost the last email address with his telephone numebr when my computer crashed and haven't had the time to locate or contact him.

Mack Gaston was a great Captain who became Great Admiral. He became the Commanding Officer at Naval Training Center Great Lakes. I had the utmost respect for him. He treated me extremely fair at a Captains Mast when he could have really put the screws to me. I credit him for setting the stage that turned my life around in the Navy, explaining to me accountability at age 21, and setting the stage for the succes I have had and will always hold him in high regard.

I have been also fortunate to have my last commanding officer (CMDR Wayne Jones)as one of my staff for the company I manage. He like Mack lead by tremendous example. Two men of the highest caliber, how lucky I was to have them as my Captains.

Bill Velto, BMSN 1977-1980
Bartender Lil Orpahn Annies
USS Cochrane DDG21
Fastest DDG in the West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: South -Pac 1979 15 years 1 month ago #16479

• George Planic
  • Thank you received: 0
I caught up Mack Gaston in 1992.  I saw his picture in a local paper, so I called the base.  He remembered me and then invited me to his change of command ceremony.
That day actually turned out to be his retirement ceremony too.  Since we originally talked, he lost his mother and wife within a short period of time, so I guess he decided to pack in the Navy life.

Afterwards, I heard he went to work for Cherry Electric here in IL for a brief time, but I lost track of him.

George Planic

Re: South -Pac 1979 15 years 1 month ago #16480

• TomFleming
South Pac "79" What memories! From Soma New Zealand and Australia! Any you guys remember the party in Tasmania? The millionare who invited the whole ship to a party at his house? All the Alcohol and all the Navy memoralbila? Oh and all the local women were invited too? What a blast that was! Tom Fleming MM aft engine room 78-81

Re: South -Pac 1979 15 years 3 weeks ago #16481

• DavidMelges
The party was hosted by Mr. Colin Room, he left Tasmania in 1981, some called him "an interesting Robin Hood style crooked accountant".  www.crikey.com.au/2005/03/30/famous-alumni-on-lathams-hit-list/

Re: South -Pac 1979 14 years 11 months ago #16491

• mikedrewery
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I remember the cruise well especially the crossing the line it was my first cruise and dave melges my first chief I retired in 1977 made many  cruises on cochrane i especially remember Tonga and the King coming aboard...miked

Re: South -Pac 1979 13 years 2 months ago #16599

• mucklin
It's good to see some names from the crew on that cruise.  Some high points I remember well were Ali's visit, a beautiful woman that one of our signalmen fell in love with, and the King of Tonga's special chair made for his visit to the wardroom.  PNC Mucklin

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds