Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

APOLLO RECOVERY 22 years 8 months ago #15397

• steven hurt
  • Thank you received: 0
Does any one recall what year or what numbered apollo shot it was that COCHRANE WAS ACTUALLY THE CLOSEST to the capsule but had to steam away under good speed so that reporters on the carrier (?) would report ,that as planned they were the closest and first ones on the splash down site?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

APOLLO RECOVERY 22 years 8 months ago #15401

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Steve,
I remember the situation and figure it had to be the first part of 66 as we deployed in july for wes-pak and then went to dry docks afterwards....can't remember the number either...too many lites

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

APOLLO RECOVERY 22 years 8 months ago #15403

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I don't think it was an Apollo shot. I believe it was during the Gemini era. I think I have an envelope somewhere from the Cochrane that is stamped Gemini Recovery Team or something like that. I seem to remember it splashing down quite a ways from where it was expected to as being the reason we weren't included in the recovery. Who knows for sure? We were seldom ever told anything by the brass. We got most of our information via scuttlebutt. I do remember we had a dummy capsule aboard to practice with.
Should have saved a little of my booze money for film, I'd have a few more pictures to show for all our adventures. I do have some awfully nice drunken memories though.

Wes

APOLLO RECOVERY 22 years 8 months ago #15404

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
There is an ebay envelope for sale with Cochrane and apollo 7 in 68...does this help???

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

APOLLO RECOVERY 22 years 8 months ago #15413

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks for that information Dave. I didn't realize Cochrane was involved in another space program after our time aboard her.

Wes

APOLLO RECOVERY 22 years 8 months ago #15414

• leathers
Wow, I didn't know those envelops were worth anything. I have several of them, and if I go check, it seems like I have more than one mission. I better go check out this one on E-Bay. Thanks, Dave. Also, sorry to hear about your ankle. I was wondering why the e-mail traffic from you ad suddenly picked up. Hope you are up and about soon.

Jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds