Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1979 SouthPac 22 years 7 months ago #15445

• RTS39
  • Thank you received: 0
Seems funny that I am the only one from main control of that era on this site as of right now. It really was a good bunch of trouble makers anyway as a little more time went on I remember talking with Jack on the main deck and he was pretty mad because they had even taken another stripe and was now a third class, but it wasn't long before they give it back. When we finally hit Perth I was so happy I was going to get to see some of Australia legaly for a change but to my dismay the chief master at arms came down in the hole and said "The captain doesn't think you would be a very good ambassadore for the ship so you will have to stay on board for this port too". I remember I was so mad I was spitting nails. Me and Harris had jumped many times before but we had always stuck together, except the last night there we both found a couple of ladies and went our own ways. When I finally got back to the ship it was about five till six and much to my amazement the tide had come in and the ship was way up but I seen my chance and went for it I grabed the bottom guy wire and lifted myself right on board. I think that the guy wire give me away because I heard the ood say "halt" and in the hatch i went figuring I had two more before he would shoot me. but back then pretty much everybody knew everybody and I was just entering bos'n mate compartment when he called me by name, so i thought I better stop. We said a few unpleasentries to one another and I got dressed to go on watch when I heard Harry had just got caught going across the Quarter deck. At captains mast I was asked why I jumped and I said for a little female companionship and everybody laughed but me, so I got fourty five days restriction out of the deal which ment I wouldn't get off till we hit pearl but I didn't care I had a great time anyway. Then we hit subic and once again here came the chief master at arms down in the hole and I thought what now they gonna hang me in the crows nest at dawn or what. He comes up to me and says "The cap'n said hit the beach sailor" and thats when I knew there truly was a god and Mack Gaston did after all, have a heart. THX and goodnight all. Russell Seaman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 SouthPac 22 years 7 months ago #15499

• Buffalo Breath
My most fondest memories were that the ship could never make enough water for us to shower daily. We had to take water on from the Perry. The cruise was great it was the last one before I got out. The party in Tasmania was great but remember how desolate and cold Bluff Harbor was?
Got to go.
PN2 Bill Barber

1979 SouthPac 22 years 5 months ago #15569

• jim cooper
My God the memories are rollin and so am i...lolol.....hey bill velto i remember that bus ride i was on there too...i remember we thaught we were in big shit stealin then crashin that bus, and the ausies thaught it was funnier than hell. man what a night.......i could'nt remember who russel was till i read his story..lol...im still laughin...me and jack hastings picked up some gals in perth, he was supposed to stop by in the mornin and pick me up. he said he knocked , noone answered so he went on to ship, i woke up late hauled ass back as the ship was leavin the dock, i had to jump from the pier, and you know everyone was lined up watchin...lol....does anyone remember tonga? me and the BTC i cant remember his name and a couple other guys stole a bunch of big wood carvings from the hotel, the b-division officer had duty at the shuttle boat, after we got back to the ship they rounded us up and we loaded all the carvings back on the boat and headed for shore, but when we got there all the carvings were gone?..lolol....they floated off..lolol...the funny part was they could'nt do anything to us unless they busted the cheif so that was a freeby....lol...hey barber i remember bluff haurbor new zealand it was pretty dead....then me and mike grody rented a toyota land cruiser, i remember they built the damn thing with the steerin wheel on the wrong side....lol...you shoulda seen my drunk ass drivin aroun on the wrong side of the road....lol...we took it up to a place called queenstown, now that place was cool....damn you guys braught back some memories....i need to get a scanner i got so many pics to share with you guys alot of campin over around bellows beach....and a whole lot from south-pac..the bad part is i cant put faces with the names...im old now...lol....hey russ whered you get that handle?...is that your prison ID ?.lol..j/k....was great readin your guys stories...man the shit we could tell sittin round a camp fire...i'd go on but there might be some of yalls kids readin this..lololol....yall take care....BT3 coop

PS. hey barber we always had enuff water to shower up in the foreward fireroom...lol...i remember we had a garden hose hooked up with a shower head....and the looks we would get walkin thru the mess deck in shorts ,wet hair, and a towel hangin over shoulder...lolol

pss.....lol.....and if i remember right that party at colin rooms in tazmania was fueled by the fact that he also owned a nurses college and bused all them girls up....i do remember he ran out of booze so he called some people to go into town and open up 1 of the discos...then bused us all into town...i hope i told all this right?...i'v told these stories so many times over the years!.and you guys are the only ones that could tell me, LIAR....lol

Edited by - jim cooper on 03/25/2002 19:52:10

Edited by - jim cooper on 03/26/2002 05:47:04

1979 SouthPac 22 years 5 months ago #15573

• Michael Gray
Hey Jim, I remember that the two BTC's that were onboard were BTC French and BTC Wallace. Don't know which one you were with in Tonga, but must have been one of them, lol. The thing that I remember most about Tonga were those grass shacks that the local hookers used to do their business in, lol. Also recall the last night there, going out drinking with HTC Garber and FN Ron Talbert. Remember that Ron and me ended up having to carry HTC back to the liberty boat and back onboard
the ship. Also remember you having to leap to the ship in Perth seeings that R-Div. always lined up on the 01 level for sea and anchor
detail. I know for a fact that there were quite a few people that almost missed the ship during that cruise, me included! Funny how when
you have a nice warm body next to you, getting back to the ship was the last thing on your mind, lol! Happened to me in Tasmania, along with Tom Fitzsimmons and a few others.

P.S. Hey Bill and Jim, us R-Div. guys didn't have any problems with showers either. We just went down in Aft A/C and took a shower using the expansion tank down there. The water was cold, but being in the South Pacific it didn't matter. At least it was freshwater and cooled you off in the process.

HTC Mike Gray USN Ret.
HT3 U.S.S. Cochrane 1977-1979

1979 SouthPac 22 years 5 months ago #15582

• Michael Gray
Any of you guys that were on this cruise, help me out here! I was just
thinking about another incident that took place during the cruise. Let
me know if my memory serves me correctly. Was remembering our port
visit to New Caledonia. Seeings this was a French Colony, all the
beaches were topless. Since we were "Sailors", I think that most of us
spent our days at the beach. At least I know that I did! Anyways, if I
remember correctly there was one crewmember that figured that since these beaches were topless, that they must be bottomless for the men.
He went to the beach and dropped his pants. Needless to say, he was
promptly arrested by the local police. I believe that Ltjg. Norton;
the CIC Officer had to go into town to try to get this crewmember out
of his embarassing situation. Well, Mr. Norton got him released so he
could enjoy the rest of the cruise. If any of you recall this incident
let me know if I missed any of the details. Also if you recall the
individual's name. I believe he was an OS, and think his first name was Ron. Thanks for any help you can give me on this one.

Mike Gray
HT3 U.S.S. Cochrane 1977-1979

1979 SouthPac 22 years 5 months ago #15583

• jim cooper
Mike your right about the deal at the beach i do remember that, but like most of you other guys im old know....lol...i dont recall who it was......i also remember the marching band and all the people on the peir when we arrived, if memory is correct we were the first american war ship to visit new caladonia since the pt boats left after WWII.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds