Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sasebo, Japan 72-73' Cruise 22 years 11 months ago #15258

• MichelTM3
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone remember the dates Cochrane was inport? Any special memories?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sasebo, Japan 72-73' Cruise 22 years 10 months ago #15262

• Al Koblinski
I sure remember Sasebo in Aug 1966. Great place at the time. Small and relatively quiet with great scenery, nice girls (What ever happened to Terumi?) and seeing Doty and Brown coming back to the ship with Akadama stains drizzling down their whites.

"Ski" ETN2 (June 66 to Aug 68)

Sasebo, Japan 72-73' Cruise 22 years 10 months ago #15264

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ski,
If you remember, it was hot as hell in Sasebo that August. There was a big to do about the Enterprise being in port. Lots of demonstrations, etc. August was not a good month for the Japanese 21 years prior. Where am I going with this? Well, due to the curfew, I and another ET had to spend the night in a skivie house. What a great time..after they closed for business, we spent the nite with the madam and girls eating all kindsa stuff I had never seen before, much less tasted. Sure wish I could remember who was with me...maybe Whitter?
What was the name of the EM Club?

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Sasebo, Japan 72-73' Cruise 22 years 10 months ago #15265

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Boy, did I leave myself open on that one..

The stuff was FOOD and served on PLATES!

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Sasebo, Japan 72-73' Cruise 22 years 10 months ago #15268

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I doubt any of us would have thought of any dirty double meanings by your comment. Well, maybe me and everybody that read it.
I seem to remember something about Sasebo breaking some sort of hot temperature record in August of 66, but don't remember the date. I'm thinking I heard it was 107 degrees. I also remember something about a record low temperature on Oahu. Once again I don't remember the date, but if I recall, it got down to 59 degrees. I know it felt pretty cool at the time. Why in the hell I remember these stupid numbers is beyond me. I can't remember what I did yesterday half the time.

Wes

Sasebo, Japan 72-73' Cruise 22 years 10 months ago #15270

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Sasebo was actually the place that I behaved myself. I remember volunteering to speak to a Japanese high school English class. I actually had fun, and was invited over a student's house for dinner on top of that. Her name was Ikuko Kamakawa, or something like that. Her family was really cool. Her father was a teacher in the school. I had always wanted to become a teacher, so I think we really bonded. I remember him telling me that he was a soldier in the Imperial Army during WW2.

I also made an ass of myself at that dinner, stomping all over their traditions without knowing it. I was just a kid, and I think not a very well informed one at that. I remember leaning against a wall in their house as I was leaving, and putting my elbo right through it. They were really nice about it, although I wonder what they said after I left. I have some pictures of them when I brought them aboard Cochrane, and they posed in sickbay. They really were cool people, and I sometimes wish I could find them to say hello, although I doubt Mr. Kamakawa would still be alive.

Edited by - Richard Cooper on 10/30/2001 19:39:41

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds