Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SNAFU 'S 23 years 4 months ago #14787

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
John,
They are dangerous. That is why they kep them out of the hole.

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SNAFU 'S 23 years 4 months ago #14798

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks guys:

That just about sums it up. Dangerous...Pipe Bombs... Nails...Rocket... BOOM...Keep away from Snipes... Got it!

MM2 83-85

SNAFU 'S 23 years 4 months ago #14800

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yeah, Hedgehogs wewre an ols anti sum weapon, cooked up in WW2, and still used thru Korea times. The DDG's were builtin the post Hedgehog era, so that fine weapon wasnt installed on us. Small bombs pitched via a small rocket charge out a couple of hundred yards in paterns, and exploded only on contact, unlike Depth charges. Not to be confused with my personal fav anti sub firecracker, the infamous Mark 17 mod 1nuke depth charge, heaved way the hell out there by Asroc.You asrock sentries, remember that sensitive assed alarm on the asroc mag door( that the XO while I was on her, Ron Tucker loved to kick, to trigger the daily security alert drill)Its reason for being was due to a couple of those big firecrackers were in there! Just imagine what that woulda done to the aforementioned GEDUNK stand!

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79, "the atlantic fleet shitcan for officers!"

SNAFU 'S 23 years 4 months ago #14803

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
John, don't feel bad because as a corpsman, I usually don't have the faintest idea what these guys are talking about. Something about dropping bombs on piers, running into things, etc. it's a miracle that the Adams class destroyers lasted long enough to be scrapped. In all of these accidents I've read about, has anyone ever been hurt??

SNAFU 'S 23 years 4 months ago #14814

• jacktay
The ship that fired the torpedo was the Goldsgorough. Try this link www.ussgoldsborough.com/torpedo.htm.
I was on her in 1970 to 1971.

SNAFU 'S 23 years 3 months ago #14937

• wilsonle
Yep, Hedgehogs where last installed in the Forrest Sherman class as comissioned. DDG's never had them, and the Forrest Sherman class lost them as they where upgraded to ASROC.
Oh and yes, I lost a lot of sleep because it seems my ASW officer " LT Dietrich" loved to play havoc with the same hatch/alarm.

FTG1(SW)DDG-21 80-84 NRFF-1091 USS Miller 85-87

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds