Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sinking the USS Frank E. Evans 23 years 5 months ago #14566

• bobby
  • Thank you received: 0
I remember hearing about the Evans being hit and thinking how bad it must have been. I belive it was during night ops training. Who would of thought you'd be involved in siniking the aft portion. I remember it took longer than they thougt it would. Not all shots were direct hits. I was a RD2 and went to the bridge to see what the rest of the crew was seeing. It felt erie knowing you were sinking what was left of a Navy ship and what happen to the forward section and crew members.

Roger Bobby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sinking the USS Frank E. Evans 23 years 5 months ago #14593

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The Evans was a good ship and was a sister ship to My first ship the 752 Cunningham. We operated with her out of Long Beach.
That was a very tragic incident. didn't know that the Cochrane was involved in the sinking of the Stern Section

Ken Keeler QM2 63-65

Sinking the USS Frank E. Evans 23 years 3 months ago #14938

• bobby
i received my august issue of Vietnam magazine today and it has a three page article entitled COLLISION AT SEA which is about the Melbourne colliding with the EVANS. It is a recounting by Australians and mentions that they had a 30 year anniversary memorial service in 1999. as i think about this more there was another ship involved with the Cochrane in the exercise to sink the aft section and that it took many attempts. The old man and operations officers were not happy.

Roger Bobby

Sinking the USS Frank E. Evans 20 years 6 months ago #15912

• bobby
The January/February 04 issue of "The Veteran" (the magazine of the Viet Nam Veterans of America has a four and a half page article on the EVANS. It is quite good.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds