Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rose Festival 1972 23 years 6 months ago #14358

• David Melges
  • David Melges's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Do you remember getting prepared for the Rose Festival in Portland, Oregon and almost missing the trip because we hit the USS Bryce Canyon the week before we were to leave for San Diego. The tug lost power and we hit AD-36 hard on her starboard side twisting all the I-beams supporting the ASROC magazine. All were replaced delaying our departure for a week and missing all the pre-deployment exercises in San Diego but getting there in time to make it to San Francisco and Portland. I believe our brief stay in San Francisco saw a few shipmates crawling back on board after a ruff nite on the town. I know of one such individual but his name will remain unknown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rose Festival 1972 23 years 6 months ago #14406

• Paul Anuschat
  • Paul Anuschat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for remembering the Rose Festival visit.

Was trying to remeber when it was. I was an interested civilian bicycling along the seawall at the Cochrane mooring in Portland. Had been out of US Nav for 4 years, and, regrettably, didn't have the stomach then to board her. Have mellowed since, I hope. As a 3rd generration native Portlander would like to hear any memories of Portland Rose Festival visit. City here supposedly prides itself on treating USN right. Local folklore is that the Rose Festival is "when the sailors come upriver to spawn..."

I continue to bicycle commute along the seawall to this day, bicycle through neighborhoods where I delivered newspapers as a kid. Haven't gotten very far, I guess.

Were there any other Cochrane Rose Festival visits?

Rose Festival 1972 22 years 11 months ago #15261

• MichelTM3
  • Thank you received: 0
WOW! What a wonderful time June, 72 just before WestPac.
(Sailors and Salmon coming up the river to Spawn) It was hard to tie mooring lines because of all the ladies trying to give you their phone numbers. Chicks wanting to have sex onbroad, on pier, in park. A true Liberty Port, Sailors Delight.<b></b>

Rose Festival 1972 22 years 10 months ago #15274

• EJ
  • EJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I remember Portland well. Our softball team played in a Rose Festival Tournament for the military teams in Portland at the time and we beat the HMCS Chadiuer for the tournament title. Then the following night we played the Handset Sheetmetal Queens of Portland in an exhibition fastpitch game and won 5-1. They were ranked number 10 in the nation in womens fastpitch softball. So other than the great liberty we were really proud of our accomplishments in sports representing the Cochrane. I still have that trophy on the mantle. I"m sure Jerry Gavin and a few other shipmates remember that port visit. Oh and by the way MichelTM3 I'll bet you were on line 4 with the AS types. I was the PO1 in charge of the fantail and remember you guys fondly.
E.J.Comes FCCM(SW) Ret.

Edited by - EJ on 11/01/2001 17:39:19

Rose Festival 1972 22 years 10 months ago #15278

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
"You guys fondly"???...hmmmmmmmwell, Ill bite my tongue here, and keep it to myself...

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79,"The Cow Killer"

Edited by - Marc Tuton on 11/02/2001 19:19:36

Rose Festival 1972 22 years 10 months ago #15281

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Marc, you have a dirty mind. Hey, you were a sailor. Guess it goes with the territory.

Wes

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds