Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adak, Alaska underground nuclear test 23 years 6 months ago #14337

• jacktay
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone remember the underground nuclear test we were assigned to around 72 before our westpac?
I was a RD3 at the time in OI division.
We had just gotten a new division officer Lt. Shirley. He seemed to think we needed straightening out. I though we were screw offs, but we were extremly professional when it came to doing our job. There was a lot of tension.
My memories upon arriving, are some of the worst weather in the world. We were taking hugh rolls. The bulkhead seemed more horizontal than the deck at times. The radar broke loose from the mast. One of the et's climbed aloft in 80 mph winds to secure it. The sea was so rough we could not go into port.
The weather did finnaly break and the next day, we were allowed into port. We had liberty in one of the most desolite bases in the U.S. The only thing to do was to go to the bar and get drunk. There was supose to be some women on the island but we never saw them. I remember there was a lot of drunks. The duty driver (a radarmen) got drunk and smashed up the ships vehicle. Somehow he got out of it, never knew quite how, I think he was a short timer.
The day came for the nuclear test we were suppose to observe it and patrol the area. All shipping was suppose to be warned to stay out of the area. The bomb was planted 2000 feet down on one of the islands. The GreenPeace was in the area protesting the test. It was hiding behind another island. We went to general quarters and waited for the blast. I was on watch in CIC. It was calculated when the shock wave or surge should hit us. We waited for it to happen. There was a countdown. Then it was over. We felt nothing.
We headed back to Pearl Harbor, our home port at the time. Lt. Shirley turned out to be an ok guy in the end. I even went over to his apartment for a diner and beers with him and his wife one night.
These are my memories. I could have some of the facts slightley in error. I would like to hear if someone else remembers this event.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adak, Alaska underground nuclear test 23 years 6 months ago #14356

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was a member of the crew for our trip to Adak in the late summer of 1971. We had just returned from an extended cruise (7.5 months) in Westpac, completed our 30 day stand down and had a new CO Capt Neal. Captain Neal was only on board for a short time as he was to become the commissioning CO of the USS SOUTH CAROLINA, he was relieved in late 71 or early 72. We were chosin to accompany another destroyer to ensure the GreenPeace ship did not enter the testing area around Amchitka island. I was in combat during the blast standing behind TSTC 2 in the pit. We all braced for the shock wave but only noticed the ship stopped rocking for a few moments. As I recall during our extended (10 day) in port period at Naval Station Adak we watched the snow slowly move down the mountain, getting closer every day. After the blast we returned to Adak to refuel and head for home as the snow flew in the harbor. I also remember BM1 Kaleiohi fishing off the fantail and throughing his catch to the eagles waiting on the utility poles down the pier. If you have your 1971 cruise book you will notice the dedication is to Luigi's Pizza Parlor in Adak and to Seaman Paul J. Kruetzer Nuclear Weapons Mess Cook. As the Captain of the '71 cruise said "Are you with me?"

Adak, Alaska underground nuclear test 23 years 6 months ago #14368

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Last time I was in Adak was abard the Cunningham DD752 in 63. The mayor of the town came down to meet us and inform the old man that there would be no liberty. we were confined to the pier. Seems that the Coast Guard had made to many stops and there were to many blue eyed kids running around. Only thing of note was a crab processor in the bay and our corpsmen saved some guy who was having a heart attack. Next day they came by and threw a dozen live king crab on the deck. That was a real sight watching people try and round them up to get them down to the galley so they could cook them with out getting grabed. I think most of the crew almost died from laughing.
Ken Keeler QM2 63-65

Adak, Alaska underground nuclear test 23 years 6 months ago #14487

• Ralph Best
  • Thank you received: 0
I remember the trip to Adak Alaska in 1971 as
i was seaman on board for the westpac cruise
and the nuclear test. the storm was something
else as i had to stand watch on the signal deck up top. I can remember R.L.Dudas BM1
tying a line around my waist while we went out on deck to get the fire hoses and other
gear secured. I am glad someone remembered
Cmdr Neal's name, if i remember correctly
from bridge watches he would also race ships
back to port.Does anyone know were RL Dudas
is or Chief BM Johnson. Also do any of you
remember the totem pole given to the ship
when we were in Mandus, New Guinea it was
full of termites and as soon as we got out
of port we tossed it overboard.By the way
I have a picture of Amchitka Island that
I took before the blast. My GQ station was in
the aft magazine for the 5"54 gun mount.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds