Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Silverware and A.C. shortage 23 years 7 months ago #14150

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Remember right after the ship's party at Grande Island, P.I. just before departing for Nam? If you guys will remember, the chow lines were long and the air conditioning didn't work well after that party. I have the answer. Capt. Shannahan, Mike Gaspar amd myself were the last ones to leave and went back on the ole man's very fast boat. Well, we were leaving 10 cases of beer at the park. I looked at Gaspar and said let's take the silverware bask in a which was in a large sealed wooden crate. We stuck the beer in there and started towards the boat. Being too heavy a load, we pitched about 2/3s of the silverware so we could manage it. We veered off to the radar room and promptly hid it in the AC vent. This virtually shut down the air and every meal was delayed till they could wash up more silverware. Gaspar and I had cold beer for most of the cruise and the Chief never figured out why we always took the late watches...The more we drank, the better the air worked but the silverware will be lost forever...Was that a court martial offense???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Silverware and A.C. shortage 23 years 7 months ago #14153

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Does this have anything to do with the gallons of strawberries in the air conditioner in Radar One?

And, who lost their false teeth in the water?
Was it Reynolds...will look in the cruise book as there is a picture of someone snorkeling for them...

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Silverware and A.C. shortage 23 years 7 months ago #14156

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Strawberrys???? No wonder the AC couldn't pass the float test...I remember the false teeth incident but don't know whos they were. Allenand Gaspar were with Reynolds in the pic

Silverware and A.C. shortage 23 years 7 months ago #14162

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hey! Now I know who to blame for the damn mess in forward reefer that I had to clean up. Somebody stole a gallon of strawberries and laid them on some overhead pipes. The can got hot and exploded. You should have hid them on the chilled water lines. Your strawberries would have survived and I would have been much happier.

Silverware and A.C. shortage 23 years 7 months ago #14168

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
You guys crack me up!!! I can only imagine what they'll find in the deep recesses of Cochrane when they begin cutting. Probably false teeth, strawberries, and hundreds of forks. I remember a guy on the ship who had all of his hair cut off and posed for a picture without his false teeth. I wish I could remember his name. He was on early on my stay on Cochrane. He had blond hair, and something tells me he was a signalman. Anyone remember who he was?

Silverware and A.C. shortage 23 years 7 months ago #14170

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Richard I really wish they had a cruise book from our first cruise in 65. By the time we left on the 66 cruise a lot of people had been transferred. I can bring up a lot of names and faces but many are lost to me forever I think.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds