Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pearl Harbor collison 23 years 7 months ago #14071

• jim brown
  • jim brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone remember the collison we had with another ship in 65. We were returning from loading ammo in preperation for our first westpac cruise. We had been put on 72 hours notice after Maddox and Turner Joy had been attacked in Vietnam. That was the begining of the war. Anyway a LT (can't remember his name)was bringing her back to the pier. As I remember it was windy and he was drifting toward the pier so he increased speed to try and get steerage. His efforts were too late. There was a space between a British ship and an american destroyer that he was going to pull into. Instead we sideswiped the British ship and ran headlong into the stern of the destroyer. Did alot of damage to the destroyer and our ship both. We had to go into drydock and have repairs done to the sonar dome. I remember an admiral pulling up to the pier within minutes looking for the Captain. That officer was gone the next day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pearl Harbor collison 23 years 7 months ago #14074

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Does anyone remember the collison we had with another ship in 65. We were returning from loading ammo in preperation for our first westpac cruise. We had been put on 72 hours notice after Maddox and Turner Joy had been attacked in Vietnam. That was the begining of the war. Anyway a LT (can't remember his name)was bringing her back to the pier. As I remember it was windy and he was drifting toward the pier so he increased speed to try and get steerage. His efforts were too late. There was a space between a British ship and an american destroyer that he was going to pull into. Instead we sideswiped the British ship and ran headlong into the stern of the destroyer. Did alot of damage to the destroyer and our ship both. We had to go into drydock and have repairs done to the sonar dome. I remember an admiral pulling up to the pier within minutes looking for the Captain. That officer was gone the next day.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Pearl Harbor collison 23 years 7 months ago #14091

• Ken Keeler
  • Ken Keeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes, i was on the bridge at the time, was not a pretty sight. made the old back side sorta pucker up. I don't rember which officer it was but by the time Capt. Benson took over it was too late.
Question/does anyone know anything about Capt. Benson?

Pearl Harbor collison 23 years 6 months ago #14237

• Richard G. Doane
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Richard Doane

Pearl Harbor collison 23 years 6 months ago #14238

• Ken Keeler
  • Ken Keeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
R.D. Don't rember who the officer was but it was actually a New Zeland ship that we side swiped.
Spent many lunch hours on the HMNZS "Otago" getting my tot of rum and two beers(Mabey more beers) the Kiwis were able to put away their beer so somebody always had a case in there Mess.Afternoons usually floated by needless to say. Ahhh yes reflections on a mis-spent youth

Pearl Harbor collison 23 years 6 months ago #14253

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I used to have a hat I got from a guy after trading him for mine that said "Otago." I remember they were all pissed off when we got back to the ship out of uniform. Was the Otago the ship we sideswiped?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds