Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

General Quarters 23 years 7 months ago #14011

• jim brown
  • jim brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone remember the time on the 66 cruise off the coast of Vietnam. We were awakened with GQ adding this is NOT a drill.I never saw the ship respond so fast. My station was in the #1 carrier room under the gun mount. No sooner did I get there,the gun started firing. I think we fired about five rounds and then we were released from GQ. Turned out to be our own swift boats coming toward us. The bridge thought they were torpedo boats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

General Quarters 23 years 7 months ago #14015

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes I remember the incident. I didn't realize we had actually fired rounds though. I thought it was just a close call for them. I guess I didn't know how close.

General Quarters 23 years 7 months ago #14043

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I remember the incident, too. I am a teacher, and I use this story whenever we have a firedrill and the kids take it as a joke. I think we went to GQ the way we did everything else. It was great. I couldn't tell you if rounds were fired or not. I really don't remember that.

General Quarters 23 years 7 months ago #14052

• dcreed
I am sure that we did fire some rounds. At least thats what I remember. After all it was only 35 years ago. I talk real sure for one who has to check his drivers license to get his name right.

General Quarters 23 years 7 months ago #14056

• leathers
I don't remember that one, but I do remember one right after we were fired at by the "abandoned VC shore battery". A while after, the lookouts spotted splashes in the water, and GQ was sounded. We got there in a big hurry this time, too. Turns out it was a couple of carrier aircraft dropping tanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds