Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boilers blew up 23 years 7 months ago #13985

• Admin
  • Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone remember when the boilers blew up on one of the first cruses off the coast of vietnam or somewhere in that area. We had several crew memebers injured and had to go into subic bay for repairs in was in 1965
24 Jan 2001

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boilers blew up 23 years 7 months ago #13986

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was one of the corpsmen who worked with the guy when the boiler blew up. This was one memory I also have of Cochrane. I can't remember his name, but we flew him off to the carrier and he never came back. This happened in the cruise in either 65 or 66, I can't remember. I would like for us all to figure out when the Cochrane will be scrapped, and everyone of us hold up our glass to her. Thanks for all of the hard work to keep this site going. You did great. Richard Cooper, HM3 65-67
24 Jan 2001

Boilers blew up 23 years 7 months ago #13987

• Admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I believe it was 1A boiler that blew. We had just left Okinawa as I recall. We went to Subic for a few days and then to Yokosuka for repairs. We were there 21 days If my memory is right. I don'remember who got hurt. I remember Martha Raye flew out to the ship while we were off Viet Nam, to celebrate her birthday with us once. It was Aug. 27th. I remember it as it was also my birthday. Wes Carroll
25 Jan 2001

Boilers blew up 23 years 7 months ago #13991

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Is this the same incident? Remember, I was an ET and don't know much about the below deck operations. We were on a gunfire mission, on the outbound leg, and something below decks let steam loose. The injury I remember occurred when the red headed first class machinist mate (I think)who was to leave the ship in a few days shoved the fellow in front of him into the small round escape hatch cover in an effort to get out. I don't remember it being an injury that required him leaving the ship.

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Boilers blew up 23 years 7 months ago #13995

• jim brown
  • jim brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Does anyone remember when the boilers blew up on one of the first cruses off the coast of vietnam or somewhere in that area. We had several crew memebers injured and had to go into subic bay for repairs in was in 1965
24 Jan 2001

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Boilers blew up 23 years 7 months ago #13996

• jim brown
  • jim brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

24 Jan 2001

I remember that also. I don't remember the mans name either,but I thought he was burned quite badly. I also remember that I ran out of money with 21 days in Yokuska.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds